Which eggs to use?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cornfedhogedito, Feb 27, 2015.

1. cornfedhogedito

cornfedhogedito Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    California USA
    If this is in the wrong spot I am sorry. Please put it where it needs to be or let me know where to post it at! Thanks.

I am wanting to hatch some eggs that my ladies are giving me. The eggs are different sizes and I only want to hatch out the biggest eggs. But, the biggest eggs have been double yolk, this just started. She has been laying now for 6 months. So what should I do? Take a chance on the eggs hatching and hope for the best or wait till I start getting single yolkers on a more regular base? I believe they are New Hampshire Reds as they look more like them then RR's.

Thanks everyone

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Double yolk eggs generally have low viability. Stick with your single yolk eggs for incubation.

3. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Candle them to check to make sure that they are single yokes and then select the ones that are close to the "natural" shape of an egg as possible. No extremely rounded or oblong ones since they tend to have chicks with more difficulty hatching. Good luck.

4. cornfedhogedito

cornfedhogedito Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    California USA
    Sound good that is what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by