Which fancy chickens should I add?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Amyh, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    So I have a flock of 22 including all the babies I've got. We are set on egg layers for the next two years, at least. I will replace these birds in Spring of 2013 if I need to.

So next year I want to concentrate on adding some fun birds to the flock.

I was thinking silkies, frizzles and bantam EE's. What other fun chickens should I consider?
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Silly little, sweet little polish. [​IMG]
  3. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Quote:DEFINITELY Polish. Silly little birds...
  4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Absolutely some Polish! Cutest, most talkative, sweet little birdies around. I mean, not that I'm biased or anything, seeings how 2/3rds of my flock are polish [​IMG]
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:They remind me of little old ladies on their way to church with their fancy hats on. Even walk like little old ladies. [​IMG]
  6. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

POLISH or frizzle!!!
    we just recently acquired one of each and boy has it been fun
    i posted a pic of our golden laced polish pullet on our facebook and my brother in law (knows we have chickens) asked [​IMG] "what is that?"
    so i told him it was an "exotic southern ground dwelling parrot" [​IMG] (which i stole from a byc member from a funny post on chicken laws) and sure enough , he believed it and asked a bunch of questions before i had the heart to tell him i was kidding [​IMG]
    THATS how bizarre and fun they can be [​IMG] (polish chickens , not brother in laws [​IMG] )
  7. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] I'm stealing this....

I love our polish chickens. Stevie rules the roost.
  8. We got a bantam sultan as our free chick once -- she was great -- so calm (because she couldn't see) and very fun to watch. The kids liked her because she was easy to handle. We also enjoy watching the silkies - they just look like alien chickens to us.
  9. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    In addition to the Polish (large or bantam), I would also consider Mille Fluer d'Uccles.

They're the sweetest things on the face of the earth! And they're bantam sized.

10. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    I don't have much experience in the chickens since we have only had them going on month now. Along with the former posts I will agree. We have 1 polish (roo I think..but in his lil flock he is king) He runs with the 3 bantam frizzled we also have (2 roos 1hen) They are soo friendly and fun to watch. Also we have 2 millies, they were small and mostly feathered when we got them.. they aren't as friendly since they haven't been really handled a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by