1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

which feed for red broiler chicks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by patandchickens, Apr 16, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Dunno what's wrong with me but I can't find a search term that will bring this up, tho I *knw* it's been discussed. I've got a dozen red broiler chicks ("Bonnies Heavy Red", that's all I know) coming tomorrow.

Should I get meat chick starter, or regular ol' normal chick starter?

Thanks,

Pat

2. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I know that peoplw have done it either way. Some places the broiler starter is not availible. I use reg chick starter, and supplment with Broiler vitamins and supplements.

3. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Red broilers are much smaller, grow much slower and don't tend to have the same issues as the White Cornish X. I raised 6 last year and just used regular medicated stater and treated them like any other chicks. I never planned to eat them and they are all alive and well and doing just fine. Mine were from Ideal Poultry are aren't much larger then a regular standard rocks. I would consider them more of an orangey buff then red also but may just be thier stock.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I use flock raiser for mine and they do great. I have meat chicks right now and they have been eating it for the past 3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by