Which feed would you pick. Ingredient list only

Neither, personally. Protein is too low and I want my grains identified.
There tends to be a lot of people on this forum that think 16% is not enough protein for the chickens. Yet almost all of the big brands out there who are putting a lot of money into R&D max out at 18% on their "layer" feed. I am raising dual purpose birds, but have personally found that 16% protein is fine during most of the year. I do supplement meal worms and other protein rich foods during molts.

The grains being identified is a very valid concern. I get that. I have reached out to them to see what specifically they're putting into it, but I don't know that I can trust a word of mouth thing. I kind of need to see it on the label because that's what you're held responsible for.

There tends to be a lot of people on this forum that think 16% is not enough protein for the chickens. Yet almost all of the big brands out there who are putting a lot of money into R&D max out at 18% on their "layer" feed. I am raising dual purpose birds, but have personally found that 16% protein is fine during most of the year. I do supplement meal worms and other protein rich foods during molts.

The grains being identified is a very valid concern. I get that. I have reached out to them to see what specifically they're putting into it, but I don't know that I can trust a word of mouth thing. I kind of need to see it on the label because that's what you're held responsible for.
I think it just depends on your breeds your flocks activity level. Mine which are active and high production layers got skinny on 16% and I couldn’t keep their weight up so I have to feed a higher protein.

I think I've read that 16% is the minimum required to maintain health and egg laying ability, it might work for some breeds and for people who can do a lot of free ranging, but I can't free range to make up for the difference for what they need. I usually buy 20% protein Flock raised since I have a rooster and someone's always molting.
I think it just depends on your breeds your flocks activity level. Mine which are active and high production layers got skinny on 16% and I couldn’t keep their weight up so I have to feed a higher protein.

Mine get too skinny with just 16% protein as well, I switched to flock raiser bit right now they're getting game bird feed mixed in with their layer pellets since tsc was out of flock raiser.

What is your feed recipe? I'd be very interested to see it. I have just begun the search of what I can get near me. Also do you mill your food or leave it whole?

To grind the cereals I feed my chicks and youngsters, I use an electrical mill https://www.siepmann.net/produktbilder/191751/getreidemuehle-230-volt.jpg

Adults get their cereals mostly whole.

The ingredients and respective percentages of my feed-mix varies according to their age and the time of year, temperature etc.

During winter and when preparing my breeding stock prior to the collection of hatching eggs, I germinate most of their cereals for 3-4 days.

Barley, field peas, wheat, rolled oats, millet, sesame and flax seeds, sunflower seeds, germ oil, brewers yeast, calcium carbonate, natural salt.

Very small amounts of corn only in prolonged very cold winter periods (-15°C and lower).

Venison, boar meat, dairy products, surplus eggs (cooked, only own production).

Carrots, pumpkin, zucchini, potatoes, apples, pears, bananas, walnuts, elderberries, jostaberries, raspberries, blackberries, stinging nettles, dandelions, oregano, and all kinds of other herbs, also served in form of tea.

During very hot summer periods I add ACV to their water.

Calcium carbonate ingredients:
1611255399027.png

We checked around in our area and found a no corn no soy 17% protein for our layers and that works well for us. New Country Organics. We saved a little too. We add in dried mealworms and other proteins during molt so my girls look pretty when turning over feathers.

I have a flock of mixed sizes (NZ Araucana being the biggest and Sebright being the smallest) so I need to cater for a variety of needs (growth & activity levels).

I find that the commercial chicken foods (regardless of protein ration) will only provide a basic food maintenance. The chickens will do "ok" on it and lay eggs - but If I want my birds to "thrive" then they need additional food sources.

Personally.. I maintain a full feeder of commercial pellets PLUS
My chickens free range - any bug that isn't smart gets eaten!
I feed daily kitchen scraps - including fruit, vege & meat products.
In autumn I give maize/grain silage which helps to put condition/weight on the birds. It only has a crude protein of about 8% but it has decent energy and dry matter values - and they love to scratch through the pile to find the grain bits = good entertainment value.
In spring, when the cows come into milk, I start making cheese. A byproduct of that process is the whey which is a complete protein - I like to soak grains in the whey and offer that as a mash to my birds. They go NUTS over it and it definitely aids in the egg production.

Edit: For my babies/juvies I start with a commercial chick crumble that includes a Coccidiostat, then progress to a blend of chick crumple plus meat bird crumble, then progress to a blend of meat bird crumble plus pullet pellets, then progress to a blend of pullet pellets plus layer pellets - then eventually onto the adult flock feeding program.

There is often a reason a company doesn't identify the specific grains. It is because there isn't a "set in stone" mix. They use whatever is cheapest or most readily available at the time. And the feed may not have the exact same ingredients in it, in the same amounts, from batch to batch.

Back
Top Bottom