Which Feeder Do You Use?

Itchen4Chickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 19, 2013
On my earlier thread I figured out what feed to buy but now I want to know which feeder to use! On this thread please just explain what system you use to feed them :) Some friends of mine simply use a bowl and others just throw it onto the ground so their chickens can forage. What is your favorite way to feed?

I use one of those plastic hanging feeders. To protect the feed from the elements, I hang it from a hook on the inside of an open wooden box that is turned on its side. Works well for me, and even the feed that gets spilled stays dry.

Last edited:

Home made 4 inch PVC , Adjust the height for the size of chickens we are feeding, Very little waste. With 14 chickens using 2 feeders, This will last over a week.

Home made 4 inch PVC , Adjust the height for the size of chickens we are feeding, Very little waste. With 14 chickens using 2 feeders, This will last over a week.
That looks very handy but do you ever have trouble with food getting clogged? Also I love the sliding up and down door in the background!

I throw boss and cracked corn on the ground so the girls can scratch and this is the feeder my hubby made
That looks really easy to use! I would love more pictures of it! And how do you put the feed in it? Sorry for all the questions but I really just want my coop to be as good as possible and that includes the feeders ;)

I use this kind. Ignore the broody hen in the feeder
roll.png
this size for the bantam pen and a huge one in the same style for the big birds.

I usually have it raised up on blocks or 2x4s or something, but honey's been taking care of the birds for the last few months and has put it on the ground.

I use this kind. Ignore the broody hen in the feeder :rolleyes: this size for the bantam pen and a huge one in the same style for the big birds. I usually have it raised up on blocks or 2x4s or something, but honey's been taking care of the birds for the last few months and has put it on the ground.
That one also seems really good!! This is going to be a hard choice but I'm happy to have so many options! Also your hen is adorable, especially as she is being all motherly!! Off topic question but is she an australorp by any chance? (I may have spelled that wrong)

We use the hanging galvinized feeder too. Our coop is on stilts, plan on height for size of feeder. The food hanging on hook under it is protected from elements.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom