Which food to buy at 25 weeks?

Fancypants1

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Central Massachusetts
I have 7 - 25 week old chickens that have not yet showed signs of wanting to start laying (no squatting etc...) 2 of the 7 have very bright red combs and wattles but the others are still pale pink. In addition to the chickens in the picture I have 3 polish and I believe they are slow to mature.

I only have about a weeks worth of finisher/grower pellets left for them. Should I buy the layer food or another bag of finisher/grower? I just don't want to buy another 20 lb bag of finisher/grower and have to buy the layer food in a few weeks.

Thoughts????

Somewhere - I can't remember where - I'd read to feed pullets the starter/grower feed until they are 18 or 20 weeks old. Even if your chickens aren't laying yet, they should be soon. I myself have five 16-week old pullets, and when I run out of this large bag of starter/grower feed, I'll be switching them to the layer feed.

Layer feed simply has added calcium. At their age and being near point of lay it's not going to hurt them at all to switch to layer. Or you can also just keep feeding grower and start putting out oyster shell to supplement the calcium for those that need it. They take what they need that way. Either way is fine.

I read that the calcium in the layer feed can hurt growing chicks because they don't need that much calcium. Now that I've mixed my old flock (six laying hens about 18 months old) and my five babes (18 weeks old tomorrow), I put out both feeds, but the overwhelming favorite are the started/grower crumbles - for all the chickens. Fortunately, the older chickens also go for the crushed eggshells and (less so) the oyster shells I put out. But once this 40-pound bag of "baby food" is gone, no more for this flock.

I have raised chickens for over thirty years. We are a non-gmo, organic farm and I switch mine to layer at 25 weeks. They will start laying between 5-6 months anyway. There really is not any danger to the birds if you switch just before you stop laying. Just enjoy your chickens and don't sweat about everything you can read. There are as many ways to farm and take care of our animals as there are farmers. You show you care about your birds by seeking advice and that is really good. Once you have the information you need, make the best decision you can.
Rhonda

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom