Which guy to keep

Adamjanisse

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2019
So I have these two males and need to decide which to keep so they don't over mate my two females. I have a female Welsh Harlequin and female buff Orpington. And my males one is a khaki the other is a Welsh. The nicer drake is the khaki. But I read somewhere that Welsh Harlequin are endangered farm species in North America. So just looking for some thoughts on which guy I should ultimately keep. And I live in a city so my solution is to not get more ducks. Already over the limit.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200127_122859.jpg
    20200127_122859.jpg
    837.9 KB · Views: 16
I would keep the nicer of the two drakes. The more aggressive would have to go and soon. If you have 'swimming water' it is possible for drakes team breeding a hen to drown her.
So don't worry about keeping the Welsh Harlequin matched then. Both drakes are good, but the Welsh is a little more aggressive with the females, but when I grab either male it's the khaki that is more standoffish if I holding him for some reason. The male Welsh gave up on fighting me. It's a tough choice I like them both. But thanks for the help

Which one is more aggressive with the females. That would help me make my choice. I don't want an aggressive drake mating my females. Just their natural hormonal self is enough.
Or do I just get rid of both of them. That's an option as well. But They both did well in the great skunk attack of 2019. Held off two skunks till I was able to get to the pen and chase the skunks off. But i actually have a half day off today I'll watch them to see who is more aggressive all day.

Last edited:
Or do I just get rid of both of them. That's an option as well. But They both did well in the great skunk attack of 2019. Held off two skunks till I was able to get to the pen and chase the skunks off. But i actually have a half day off today I'll watch them to see who is more aggressive all day.

My females enjoy having at least one male around, It's totally up to you though. I would definitely get rid of the meaner drake before spring comes.

I say keep 1. I am actually in favor of the Welsh. Aggression with the females is just their mating habit and may calm down when there isn't another drake around. I love to be able to hold a duck, and it sounds like the Welsh is more willing to let you do so. That makes caring for them much easier.

Also, if they ate just going to a friend outside of town, you could always swap the drakes again if necessary. That wasn't an option for me because our excess deals go to the chopping block which makes the decision permanent.

Back
Top Bottom