which has the darker eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Sep 12, 2010.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I want chocolate to very dark brown egg which type of chicken lays darker? And which hatchery Has darker eggs if that matters and please post egg pics tell breed/hatchery
    please.

Penedesenca: from MPC

Welsummer : from MPC/ Ideal

Cuckoo Marans: from Ideal

Silver Cuckoo Marans: from MPC

Thanks

2. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    i know its not on the list, but i hear black copper marans lay about the darkest of 'em all. Welsummer's arent the darkest... i'd go with a penedesenca or any marans

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The fact that they're going to be from MPC or Ideal already promises you that they won't be dark.

But, aside from that, Black Copper Marans in almost all cases lay the darkest eggs.

I can guarantee you now that Cuckoo Marans almost never lay dark eggs anymore, and Welsummers naturally should lay a more terra cotta color. Penedesencas are another breed that you usually have to go to a quality breeder for dark eggs.

But, if I were you and I had no other choice, I'd go with the Marans from MPC. Ideal Hatchery uses their own stock, while MPC at least gets from a new hatchery, meaning their stock is slightly better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by