Which hatchery had problems with Salmonella?

It was MT. Healthy but they are fine now I think. We called them and the problem was people were treating the birds too much like pets and not farm animals. Really as long as your sanitary about everything you should be fine.

CDC described an eight-year investigation into salmonella illnesses, with more than 80 percent of the cases tied to a single hatchery in the western U.S. While CDC officials refused to identify the business, a previous report on the investigation by the health agency indicated it is in New Mexico.

This sounds like Privett Hatchery. They are located in NM.

Like everyone else said, practice hand washing and santitation and you will be just fine!

If you handle chicken poop, wash your hands before you put your hands into your mouth.

It is not an issue if you use ordinary sanitation practices.

Last edited:
I read an article today on CNN (link below) of an outbreak related to a hatchery in Ohio...I was concerned b/c I ordered my chicks from Meyers in Polk, OH. I know chicks will naturally carry some salmonella in their gut - but I am wondering if this strain is particularly virulent, or if the hatchery chicks have a very LARGE salmonella load. I am a bit of a freak with the hand-sanitizer for myself and my son, but it is still worrisome. (I use non-medicated feed, which may promote a heavier bacterial load, too.) Thinking about asking the vet if they can run a culture to determine if my gals have a problem they could pass along to us...

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/31/cdc-salmonella-outbreak-tied-to-live-poultry/?hpt=he_c2

Interesting. In general I feel like having backyard birds would mean a little less exposure to all things nasty - since they're not living in nasty condiitons and being pumped full of antibiotics to survive them.

However, since my order is coming in two weeks from MPC (hence really from Meyer) this is food for thought. Thanks for posting the link.

This article does not alarm me. Poop has germs in it, no matter what animal it comes from, chickens, humans, or otherwise. Anyone who handles an animal that walks through its own poop and doesn't wash their hands is asking for trouble.

There are types of bacteria that are spread by cats to as well. It is recommended that pregnant women shouldn't be handling the litter box, and be wary of cat scratches.

Your procedure for you and your kids handling chicks should be the same whether or not you read this article: don't kiss the chicks and wash your hands after handling them or cleaning their living space.

Enjoy your chicks. :)

My grand daughter is 4 and I have taught her not to touch her face when we are in the coop. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in a pocket and make her use it as soon as we step out of coop then Straight to bathroom to wash her hands. I also got her a pair of rubber boots to put on she does not wear her (princess shoes ) or tennis shoes into the coop.
Yesterday she was feeding them wild strawberries and she knows they peck hard so she invented strawberries on a stick, she had a small twig and stuck the berries on the tip and fed the chickens that ways! I was so surprised at her inventiveness.
I still have to remind her, but it's better then when we first started with the chicks.

My grand daughter is 4 and I have taught her not to touch her face when we are in the coop. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in a pocket and make her use it as soon as we step out of coop then Straight to bathroom to wash her hands. I also got her a pair of rubber boots to put on she does not wear her (princess shoes ) or tennis shoes into the coop.
Yesterday she was feeding them wild strawberries and she knows they peck hard so she invented strawberries on a stick, she had a small twig and stuck the berries on the tip and fed the chickens that ways! I was so surprised at her inventiveness.
I still have to remind her, but it's better then when we first started with the chicks.

So cute. I can just picture it. Now maybe the chickens will require all treats to come on a special stick.

This article does not alarm me. Poop has germs in it, no matter what animal it comes from, chickens, humans, or otherwise. Anyone who handles an animal that walks through its own poop and doesn't wash their hands is asking for trouble.
There are types of bacteria that are spread by cats to as well. It is recommended that pregnant women shouldn't be handling the litter box, and be wary of cat scratches.
Your procedure for you and your kids handling chicks should be the same whether or not you read this article: don't kiss the chicks and wash your hands after handling them or cleaning their living space.
Enjoy your chicks.
smile.png
Unfortunately, I am well versed in poop (more so than I'd like, since we have horses, too
big_smile.png
). I guess my question is (which the article doesn't address) whether this is a typical post-Easter season outbreak (due to some uninformed folks impulse buying chicks and ducks b/c they are cute...and have no idea how to handle them), or if this is something particularly nasty? I've heard of Salmonella concerns with turtles...but that was due to folks letting kids put small turtles IN THEIR MOUTHS. It seems like some of these outbreaks have more to do with a lack of common sense/lack of understanding than an actual "outbreak" per say...I'm just wondering where this situation falls. My little one has to hand-sanitize and wash hands after touching the chickens...and I do all the "yucky" stuff (i.e. cleaning the coop, cleaning/changing waterers, etc.) - but with a three-year old, it worries me a little...

Back
Top Bottom