Which hatchery has better quality turkey poults

elcarchick

In the Brooder
May 12, 2015
Brevard, NC
I am planning to buy 15 heritage turkey poults - bourbon reds, narragansetts and maybe some royal palms or midget whites - in the end of July. I am considering McMurray and Meyer because I have ordered from them before and because they still have availability. I ordered 6 BBB from Meyer before and they are all fine so far (2 months old). Meyer has a minimum of 20 poults for heritage turkeys and McMurray - 15, for that reason I'd rather go with McMurray. My only concern is quality and consistency of their stock. I ordered 2 batches of chickens from McMurray this year, broilers and layers. Broilers were great (all 4 kinds I've tried), growing at about the same rate, no defects or health issues, no losses. Layers have been somewhat of a disappointment, very inconsistent. I already lost a Delaware chick because it didn't grow and eventually I guess it got pushed too hard by the siblings, and now one of my two Cuckoo Marans is not looking good, hardly growing (and was slow and sickly looking from the start), half the size of her sister, and I have concerns whether she will survive since she is falling further and further behind the rest of them, including the chicks that should be smaller (like leghorns).

With that in mind I am really worried that I will have a similar problem if I order my turkeys from McMurray. I am sure there are better turkey breeders out there but they are probably all sold out for the season. I am not looking for spectacular specimen, I am not planning to start my own line or show them. I just want healthy poults of consistent quality who when provided with proper conditions will be growing at the same rate and won't have any genetic defects.

Does anyone have experience buying bourbon reds or narragansetts from either hatchery? Which one would you go with? Is there a better source for those types of turkeys that would still have availability for the end of July-beginning of August? I will appreciate any input on this subject.

Back
Top Bottom