Which hatchery has the broodiest Orpingtons?

becstalls

Crowing
13 Years
May 22, 2010
Indiana, PA
I'm looking to get some BO's specifically for their broody quality. If you've purchased them from a hatchery, could you please tell me which hatchery they came from and whether they are: not broody at all, average, or very broody. Thanks
frow.gif

We got our birds from Estes Hatchery. 2 buff orps among others. Both Buff orps have been broody. But one has seriously been broody almost since she laid her first egg. I have put her in the wire bottom pen for 3 days at a time 3 times. She just won't stop. I am starting to get worried about her. The other one has been broody also but will break in the broody breaker. None of the other chickens have gone broody. Isn't it funny? I want her to stop and you want one like her!!!

I've seen others on here talk about breaking a really stubborn broody by dunking her in a bucket of cool water. Obviously, this time of year might not be good for that, but maybe if you did it indoors and let her stay in until totally dry?

Thanks folks, this is just what I'm looking for, keep em comin!!
frow.gif

I got 2 Buff Orps in a mixed order from Ideal Poultry in the spring of 2008. Both were excellent broodies. I still have one of them, the other fell to a predator. The one I still have, Blondie, is one of my two favorite broody hens. She's an awesome mother! I give her eggs to hatch almost every time she wants them...
smile.png

My Buff Orpington took so long to break that I wonder if the week in broody cooler made any difference at all.

My BO came from a local woman who had a huge variety of birds. This was her only BO and I got her and I regret the purchase. She was the last to start laying . She was the only one to go broody . She has taken a loooooong vacation from laying since going broody, though I am hoping that will be over soon since the rooster showed an interest in her yesterday. (He seems to prefer hens who are laying or about to lay).

For pity's sake, if you breed for broodiness, please make sure that good mothering skills and a modicum of intelligence are included in the package!

I have 3 Ideal buff orp hens, over 2 years old, and none have ever gone broody.

I have my doubts that selecting a hatchery for this is going to work, but will follow this to see if I can find out.

I've had BOs from Cackle and McMurray. Only about 10% of the BOs from Cackle went broody, but about 80% of the McMurray BOs went broody, and they were excellent mommas. I also had five GLWs from Cackle, and all of them went broody at least once. The one I allowed to hatch chicks was a better momma than the BOs.

McMurray BO on the left, and a Cackle GLW on the right. They shared a nest and hatched several chicks this summer. They were both excellent mommas, but this GLW was the best. In every picture I have of them the GLW has her face right by the chicks. She loved those chicks.
48412_copy_of_liesls_pics_538.jpg

My first BO girls came from Meyer and have never gone broody. I never have ordered any from another hatchery but I have gotten some from people getting rid of theirs and I have had one to go broody one time in 2 years. Otherwise, my girls enjoy spending their days roaming the farm and gossiping.

I ordered my current chickens from Meyer and am quite happy with them, my GLWs have not gone broody, but they only started laying in the fall, so maybe in the spring. I'd prefer to order from Meyer since they're closer to me, but since I'm looking specifically for broody birds (and I love the look of the fuzzy butts) I'll order from wherever turns out to have them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom