Which Hatchery is the Best Hatchery?

Hillary and friend's eggs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 9, 2010
Hello everyone!

I am thinking of getting baby chicks (mainly egg layers if it matters) from an online hatchery. I live in California and was wondering which hatchery to buy from?

Also, since I don't have a lot of space for chickens in my yard, I can't have a lot of birds so I can't order from a hatchery with a 25 chick minimum order or something along those lines.

thanks for the help!
smile.png

Truthfully, the best hatchery is probably the closest one to you. Having said that, I would recommend Ideal as the minimum is based on price, not chicks. So say you wanted to buy 5 RIRs and a book as well as a package of grow gel, then that would bring you up to above their minimum. To insure the safe arrival of so few, they will add extra male chicks to keep the others warm. You can easily give them away on Craig's list and then you are set. You could also just ask around at the feed stores and find out when they are getting chicks. Another option is to ask on the Buy/sell/trade forum if there were anyone near you. I also seem to remmember that there are a couple of hatcheries in California (check the chicken pages at www.feathersite.com) and if you lived near them you might be able to pick up from the hatchery and thus avoid the minimum.

I don't think selection is the thing to really look for - Murray McMurray has a huge selection, and they aren't the best hatchery. Ideal even shows pictures of their breeds, but only pictures of true show-quality birds, not what they produce. I'd say going locally is a good idea, but just don't fall for some of the things hatcheries say. (example: No hatchery sells real Ameraucanas or Araucanas, very few hatcheries sell birds that look like what you think they will look like)

I've ordered from Welp, Xtreme Gamebirds and Ideal (twice). They're really all the same to me...it's all just peeps in a box, so I just roll with selection.

I have never gotten an extra chick thrown into the box from Ideal.

Cackle hatchery has a good selection and, at least in my case, the chicks were very healthy and alert. I definitely recommend them!

I have ordered from Ideal twice, and have been very happy. Unless you want show quality, go with whomever has the best selection. IMO, Ideal has the best. If you're looking for a particular breed, try posting. Someone here will know SOMEBODY who has what you're looking for. That's how I found my Maizie Mae Black Copper Marans. Oh, and my sweet Dorothy Dominique, and my Sadie Speckled Sussex.

Jen

Back
Top Bottom