Which hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by redrooster99, Aug 15, 2019.

1. redrooster99

redrooster99 Songster

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    I have bought from ideal in the past, but have been looking into cackle hatchery. Cackle seems to have much better quality birds. Which hatchery would y’all recommend?

Trimurtisan likes this.
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Cackle is better for quality. Ideal is better for price, especially their weekly specials.

What are you looking for, in particular?

Trimurtisan likes this.
  3. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Chief Chicken Choker

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    I got 17 ducks from Cackle this summer and they are all in good condition. They are still "hatchery quality" but all are healthy and had good dispositions. I would order from them again in the future. Plus I did have a issues when it came to my order. They had a bad hatch rate, and had to split my order, but did compensate with a couple extra ducks. Overall I was happy with how it all went.

4. redrooster99

redrooster99 Songster

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    I had bought me some show chickens earlier this year and got a sick bird and ruined my flock and once I’m done cleaning everything and getting rid of this flock I want to start me a new one with birds I know are healthy. But I don’t want really crappy birds. I want something that will look like the breed it’s supposed to be. If that makes since. These won’t be show birds.

slippednfell and SunHwaKwon like this.
  5. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I go to Cackle because it's within driving distance. They do have a great selection, but these are hatchery birds after all. I think they have good customer service, they have a facebook page which they update almost daily and they are really interested in promoting good relations with the public.

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    What are your opinions of McMurray and Meyers?

7. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I've bought from Meyers, had no issues with the order, no issues with the delivery. I was pleased with what I received... for hatchery quality. When I replenish my flock, if I go for these breeds again, I will be going for heritage or breeder birds.

NightingaleJen and ChickNanny13 like this.
  8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    2x Frazzemrat1 When not in the "Continental" USA acquiring quality animals is a dream. We depend on the hatcheries, then we have the shipping issues to deal with. We do have "breeders" although their stock is hatchery stock.

Frazzemrat1 likes this.
  9. Chicken Heel

Chicken Heel Songster

Jun 8, 2019
    I have ordered from McMurray Hatchery many times going back to the late 1970's up until 2012 and have had zero issues with their birds. My current flock of 16 Mixed Large Breed and 16 Mixed Bantam hens came from Cackle Hatchery and they have been very healthy and productive as well. In all the times I have ordered chicks, I have never received even one that was DOA which is quite remarkable.

10. slippednfell

slippednfell Songster

Apr 20, 2019
    AK - OZARK Mountains
    I have bought from Cackle mail order twice. The first time, I got 20 chicks. All arrived alive and well and still are fine. The second time, I got 18 chicks. 3 died the first night... they were tiny. The rest are fine and well. I'm pretty happy with Cackle for chicks. Their variety of ducklings isn't as good as some other hatcheries. Good luck!

NightingaleJen likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: