Which hatchery?

There’s only few hatcheries or breeders that ship to Hawaii.
I first order from Meyers. In my first batch they had hatching problems with the lavender orps. I had to sub for other breed, Plus it was around $50 just for shipping. I got credit for the birds, so I had to order again and pay a new shipping. The second batch was all good. My third batch was only red sexlinks. They sent the probiotics powder first from their location. I realized that the chicks were coming from a different location and in a different date, which was a mess because I had to take off many hours from work every morning to be able to pick up the birds since they were never clear about the date. The birds never made it to Hawaii. I asked for a refund. I got it and then they blocked my account ‍♂️
Now I order form McMurray. Over all, very happy with the birds. All hatchery quality but very productive and resistant. I lost the las batch due to shipping delays. I got only 2 out of 16 silkies. They refunded the whole amount immediately. Besides the service, they don’t charge shipping!

I second McMurray hatchery. For a hatchery I believe they have nice stock. The chicks I received when I ordered from them were hearty, friendly and very productive once grown. Their customer service is great as well so I definitely am considering ordering from them again in the spring.

However, my husband ordered from Cackle hatchery once before and absolutely adored their white leghorns. He said once grown they laid extra large jumbo sized eggs (so big you couldn’t close the egg carton lid down on them and they all looked like double yolks). Because of this I’m possibly considering them as well for a spring order.

@ChickNanny13 , do you talk to the hatchery people directly before ordering chicks from the mainland? I wonder that any chicks can survive the trip, without very special arrangements made to expedite shipping. We all have enough problems here in the Midwest!
Mary

In my case, I do confirm that they ship to Hawaii, the costs of shipping and any question y may have about the breeds I’m looking for. For example: egg production, egg size, egg color, etc.

@ChickNanny13 , do you talk to the hatchery people directly before ordering chicks from the mainland? I wonder that any chicks can survive the trip, without very special arrangements made to expedite shipping. We all have enough problems here in the Midwest!
Mary

I've never ordered, my girlfriend did when she ordered from McMurray. I've seen people pick up boxes of chicks from Meyers at the PO, another friend has ordered from Ideal, Jenks, McMurray & Privett. From what I'm told, no special arrangements are made and even Dels is trying out a new hatchery in hopes of survival rate.

Since the OP mentioned ducks, I'll throw in here that I'll recommend Metzer hatchery for any waterfowl.

For chicks, I've used Ideal for years. Never tried Cackle. I did one order from Hoover this fall, and I was happy with them as well -- can't report on adult quality of those chicks yet, though.

Back
Top Bottom