Which heat lamp to get?

eggxelent

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 19, 2012
I'm making my own brooder, out of a cardboard box, and all is coming along great. Except for one thing:I can't figure out what heat lamp to get. I can't figure out, are there lamps designed especially for chicks? Or do most people use reptile lamps? What wattage should I use? I want to have two lightbulbs in the brooder at the same time so that if one goes out, then the other will still provide heat, and I can replace the broken one. I am brooding five chicks hopefully.
jumpy.gif

Thanks for your help,
Eggxelent

The first one is the lamp the second is the bulb. The light bulb is separate. Yes I use red, it is better for the chicks then the white.
Okay. One other concern: is 250 watts too hot for the chicks? I read in the 4-H guide to raising chickens that they only need 150 watts. Is that true? May have been a typo.

I use a 100 W red bulb. 250 is too hot in my opinion. No matter what lamp you use make sure it is attached securely. You do not want a fire starting.You can raise and lower the lamp to get the right temperature. The lamp itself is on sale at Tractor Supply for $8. I have several of those and they work great.

It depends on where you are brooding them. If out in a garage that's unheated then yeah, a 250w may be what you need. If in your already 70+F home then one lamp is fine, you'll get to them fast enough to replace bulb and I only use a 60W in one end of plastic tote so they have other end to roam if too hot.

I have used a regular light bulb and a lamp befor I have also used a 250 watt red bulb with the needed lamp that goes to that . My boyfriend just got me an ecoglow 20 brooder and I would say If you can get that one , you wont have to worry about them getting to hot or cold , its made so you can change it as they grow. You dont have to worry about a bulb burning out in the middle of the night and all your babies dying , You dont have to worry about fire , and it uses less electricity. Not to mention you wont end up with birds that are scared of the dark cuase they were brooded with light.

Let me echo Gabrielle in recommending a Brinsea EcoGlow versus heat lamps. I have two of the smaller units and one of the larger ones (which I use when I have more than 20 chicks to brood). No danger of fire, chicks self-regulate, never had a pasty butt issue with chicks since changing to an EcoGlow (oddly enough), only 18 watts of electricity running versus a zillion more with heat lamps since it is left on for weeks at a time.

Happy, happy, healthy chicks who don't have to deal with light at night so they go to sleep like the big chickens do, when the sun goes down.

Back
Top Bottom