Which hen is this egg coming from?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beeenbag, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Beeenbag

Beeenbag New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    I have just gotten into having chickens around and wanted all brown egg layers. I have a welsummer, a RIR, and two buff Orpingtons, as well as a welsummer roo to keep them company. They have just started laying consistently the past few weeks. I am getting tannish eggs sometimes a little darker and a smaller white egg. Which one can it be? I thought welsummer eggs were really dark and RIR eggs darker than Bo eggs. I would never get rid of her now but I'm just curious.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. charliethezero

charliethezero Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    East central MN
    Do you have pictures of the eggs and hens?

3. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Could be your BO or RIR....some breeders will cross in the line somewhere to enhance egg production, and occasionally it comes out down the line...what color are their earlobes?

4. Beeenbag

Beeenbag New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

My two BOs

[​IMG]

My welsummer, ( on the cross tie)

[​IMG]

My RIR in the center

[​IMG]

My welsummer roo

[​IMG]

The latest eggs.

Here are my girls and the eggs I have obtained in the last week or so, a couple of the hens look pretty rough, but a little back ground on how I obtained them...

I bought these chickens off of someone with a very questionable reputation. I know it wasn't a smart move for someone that wants a lot of eggs or is starting a flock, but these were bought solely for my 4 year old daughter any my entertainment, the eggs are a bonus. My hens were bred so badly that only the rir had feathers on her back, they where all very scared of humans. There were about 75 roosters roaming free on this farm and about 40-50 hens. Now my BOs are hard to keep from tripping over and the rir and the rooster will eat out of my hand. The "welsummer" is still very skiddish of my presence. I have had these chickens for about 4-5 weeks.

as soon as I obtained them, I treated them for parasites. They seem to be doing well, especially the rooster after I took the string off of his foot that was permantly embeded into his skin.

Thanks for all of the help.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    I can't tell well from the picture, but I'd say that back hen in the first pic is laying your light eggs. She appears to have white on her ears.

6. Beeenbag

Beeenbag New Egg

Aug 2, 2014

She may be old, I don't know the age, but the production of the white egg layer is low, you can tell in the egg picture, she is way behind. Not to mention we have eaten 6-8 brown eggs since we have started getting them.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by