1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which hens to get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sfisher, Jan 26, 2008.

1. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    My local feed store will be carring these chickens in March, Black sex links, Warrens, and Rhode Island reds. All I want is a good feed to egg ratio. What do you suggest?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Black sex links will be optimum if all you care about is FCR. The RIR's are prettier (I think). I've never heard of a Warren, though. Did they mean "Maran" maybe?

3. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    rirs. great layers, beautiful, but they do eat a bunch

4. sfisher

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    I have never heard of Warrens either.

5. sfisher

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    I found Warrens on the net. All it says is that they are a RIR cross, originally bred for battery farms. Type is Hybrid, weight medium, egg color beige, eggs per year 300. Also known as Calder Ranger. Sounds like a good hen to me. The Maran was on the same page it is a RIR crossed with a Plymouth Rock.

6. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    RIR's. I have a bunch. They supply me with TONS of beautiful HUGE brown eggs. I suggest them.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like if a warren is a mix, it would be another priporty name for a red sexlink. I bet the RIR's are really production reds. Any of the three will do well for you. The main advantage of sexlinks is you will have 100% pullets for sure, instead of just 90%.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Sexlinks will be more economical as far a feed to egg. And I think the red sexlinks are really pretty with their "white underwear".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by