Which hens to get?

sfisher

Songster
12 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Myrtle Beach
My local feed store will be carring these chickens in March, Black sex links, Warrens, and Rhode Island reds. All I want is a good feed to egg ratio. What do you suggest?

Black sex links will be optimum if all you care about is FCR. The RIR's are prettier (I think). I've never heard of a Warren, though. Did they mean "Maran" maybe?

I found Warrens on the net. All it says is that they are a RIR cross, originally bred for battery farms. Type is Hybrid, weight medium, egg color beige, eggs per year 300. Also known as Calder Ranger. Sounds like a good hen to me. The Maran was on the same page it is a RIR crossed with a Plymouth Rock.

Sounds like if a warren is a mix, it would be another priporty name for a red sexlink. I bet the RIR's are really production reds. Any of the three will do well for you. The main advantage of sexlinks is you will have 100% pullets for sure, instead of just 90%.

Sexlinks will be more economical as far a feed to egg. And I think the red sexlinks are really pretty with their "white underwear".

Back
Top Bottom