which heritage turkey breed for meat?

Have any of you guys raised chocolate turkeys? Are they good for meat? I like that they are a natural breeding turkey that Lay frequently, but I am hoping for a good dual purpose turkey.

Bourbon Red are probably the best large heritage dual purpose, and Midget White the best small heritage dual purpose.

Both have been in recovery long enough to have been selected/improved for meat yield and laying ability.

I have a huge family and we love turkey. I need a big turkey breed, that's gentle (cause of the children) and can reproduce with out artificial insemination (hope I spelled that correctly). I am okay with crosses, but I want it to look like the big black turkeys in the history books LOL does that make sense? Any suggestions?

If you want to look like history book birds. Find eastern. Or merriam. Wild strains. Depending in your location these may be illegal to own.

Heritage strains black spanish or bronze.

I have a huge family and we love turkey. I need a big turkey breed, that's gentle (cause of the children) and can reproduce with out artificial insemination (hope I spelled that correctly). I am okay with crosses, but I want it to look like the big black turkeys in the history books LOL does that make sense? Any suggestions?

If you want to raise turkeys for food, white or light colored turkeys will make a much cleaner and better looking carcass. Bourbon Reds are a good looking turkey that makes a nice clean looking carcass.

I raise white hollands and Bourbon Red. The toms consistently dress out at 15 lbs and the hens are 9-10 pounds. They both taste great. Every year I do a couple broad breasted for those couple customers that want a big bird. At 6 months the bb hens dress about 30 and toms.40. I keep them on chicken feed only to control their rapid growth.

If you want to raise turkeys for food, white or light colored turkeys will make a much cleaner and better looking carcass. Bourbon Reds are a good looking turkey that makes a nice clean looking carcass.

I will need two a year for thanksgiving, and a couple thru out the year, so breeding is a must. But to be honest (don't tell my hubby) I always wanted a big turkey as a pet LOL I'm weird I guess! Are Bourbon Reds good breeders?

I will need two a year for thanksgiving, and a couple thru out the year, so breeding is a must. But to be honest (don't tell my hubby) I always wanted a big turkey as a pet LOL I'm weird I guess! Are Bourbon Reds good breeders?

Bourbon Reds as well as the various white heritage breeds can and do reproduce well. I have personally had excellent luck with raising Blue Slates and Self Blues (aka Lavenders).

Back
Top Bottom