Which horse would you choose? *pics*

S*T*A*R :

So.... what were all your peoples first horses?

I took lessons for 3 years with a highly qualified trainer before leasing my first horse. In those three years I was exposed to all levels of horses from calm and quite to straight off the track babies. I leased my first horse from my trainer and got the feel of how it was to own a horse. I got my first horse at 11, he was a 16 year old quarter horse that I had leased before my parents bought him. He was a great horse. Then at 12 I got my first show horse, he was 3 and fresh off the track. He was perfect for my level of riding at that time and he took me all the way up through my teens. He is now retired and happy eating hay and grass out in the pasture. I boarded him for years, well up until 5 years ago to be exact. It is expensive. when my husband and I decided to move, we had to make a hard decision, either sell him or find somewhere we could have him. Luckily, we found our place now and he will never leave me. You have to think of what if something happens and you cant work with the deal you have going with the boarding/riding exchange between you and your friend. Then what do you do? Then you are in quite the pickle
tongue.png

Another thing is vet bills...oh my gosh, the vet bills. My first horse got a deep cut and had to have stitches on his leg, that was a HUGE vet bill for my PARENTS because of course I was 11. Then he fell while being trailered and ripped out his shoulder, the vet bit and physical therapy for that was outrageous! Then i will move on to my TB, He has always been a hard keeper, sound as can be, but a hard keeper. He coliced every year at the same time of the year, that was 200$ every time the vet needed to come and oil him. Now he's a senior and had had to have his mouth rebalanced twice, bloodwork run twice, the vet out for numerous medical reasons. Tha's just on the past 2 years. I was a stay home mom, now I work full time to pay for my horses needs. I don't mind because I love them and it works for us. That is all just the extras on top of hoof trimming/shoes, routine shots and feed/hay/supplements that your horse might need.
Basically I am trying to say that, owning your own horse is a lot more that what it seems. If I were you, I would take lessons for a while, get to know different breeds and temperaments through experience. No one here and no book can tell you everything you learn thought experience. The best way to learn is to go out there and experience it, be around horse people (like the 4-H people) and soak it all in. You will then be secure and know exactly what you want and you will find it.

Good luck!
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Then bring on the unethical vets
wink.png
We consider ours a family friend, if he knowingly let us buy a crippled horse that might come to an end pretty quick. I have no use for so called 'ethics' if it involves calling out a liar.

Calling out a liar would not be the breach of ethics...being in a doctor/client relationship already with the seller and then taking money from the buyer as another client to tell them what is already known would be. This is what the post read like to me, anyway. It's a conflict of interests. Most vets around here refuse to do that for that very reason...if they absolutely *have* to prepurchase exam for a buyer on one of their seller clients' horses because no other vet is around or available, they will usually do tests (like x-rays, etc) with the seller's OK and send the results on to another vet who is an uninterested party in the seller (but hired by the buyer) to read/interpret those results for the buyer client. That way the seller's vet can't put their own spin on it to benefit the seller and promote the sale happening whether or not it is in the buyer's best interest to buy the horse in question. It's like two parties in litigation against each other would not hire the same lawyer to represent them both...one would get the short end of the stick even though they are both paying to be represented.

We're talking about two different vets. The seller's vet is not the same person as the buyer's vet.

Back
Top Bottom