Which incubator is the best?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jill-o, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Jill-o

Jill-o New Egg

Apr 6, 2008
    This will be the 4th year for me to hatch chicks for my classroom. I had a Hova-bator and had very good luck. This year I moved and am using an old hova that is in bad shape. I saw the Top-Hatch incubator. Compare this to the Hova-bator. I only do this once a year but it is important that we have some hatch for the children to explore and learn about.

Thanks!

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Do you have a budget, because there are better than both you mentioned, but not for the money.

The Hova, btw, can be brought back to almost new, very reasonably

3. Jill-o

Jill-o New Egg

Apr 6, 2008
    Around $250. The one I had was the automatic turner with a picture window, circulated air, and electronic thermostat. The one I have now has the two small windows that fall out everytime I open the top to turn the eggs. Yes, the automatic turner is broken so I now have to make a trip to school twice a day on the weekend. The plugs are are gone so I had to plug them with rolled up tape. I was spoiled with the first one. Tell me your thoughts. I might could go a little higher but if the schooldoesn't help, it will come out of my pocket.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have a GQF Hova-bator model 1583 circulated air model with turner. It has a large picture window. I purchased it from GQF MFG in Savannah, GA. First time I have ever had one with a turner and it is hatching chicks as we speak, 28 so far out of 32. Holds temps and humidity perfect for me.

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:I get the *out of pocket* bit, my wife teaches High School!

$250 will get you the top of the Hovabator range, with auto-turner and leave change. The Brower Top Hatch is about $150, I think, and well liked by users.

$250 is also about the bottom price of the Brinsea range (look on ebay). These are incubators in the next range up, and are generally outwith your budget. Lyon also produce nice stuff at about this price and might even be better for visibility.

With $250 I would be hunting for a cheap Brinsea Octagon 20, or possibly a Lyon TX-6 ... a few bucks more.

Look herethen go find one on ebay

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I recommend the Hovabator model 1588 with turner made by GQF . Buy direct. Don't use a middleman. You can't beat their customer service if you ever have a problem or a question and purchased direct from them. You will spend about $168 for both pieces plus shipping.

7. highmountainchick

highmountainchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    What are some of the best incubators out there? I see lots of different names on this site, anybody got a favorite and why? thanks for the help.

8. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm with MissPrissy. I have 2 of the Hovabator Genesis 1588. For the price it's wonderful. Temperature is preset, large viewing window, easy to add water to toughs for humidity. I love not having to adjust the temperature, just set eggs and check the humidity once a day. For me it's "blonde proof"

9. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    I ahve the hova-bator circulated air with an auoto egg turner. i got mine frome nasco famr supply. it was only $100.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by