Which is better: stationary or tractor?

ncCHICKS

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
A few of you may know that my mother threatened to create confined chickens, after talking it out, she's cool with it, she just got overwhelmed with recent events (I'm sure everyone *including me* can relate)

ANYWAY. I am building a coop big enough for 10-13 chicks *depending on if you use the 8sq ft or 10 sqft run rule* and I am wondering if I should make it a tractor or just a coop. The only thing I am worried about is that the coop is going to be LARGE and a octagon shape will make it hard to move around. If I make it stationary, I can make a garden theme around it and easily blend it in.

Tractors are best because it prevents your flock from digging out all the grass in the are. When you need fresh grass you can movw the tractor.

If you plan to free range, then it really does not matter too much. If however you plan to pen them while outside, then a tractor might make sense since they will lay bare the land beneath them in no time at all.

Yes, mobile, fresh grass
cool.png

i think that ? depends on you and your situation. i have seen some tractors that would rivel any coop and run in size. and provide the same security if not more.

i my self am gonna do both. would love to free rang my chickens but will not be able to because we grow produce for local sale.

can free range them for the rest of the year.

I also feel that mobile situations prevent pests and also worms. I think that it prevents nasty stuff from building up with all that poop which is inevatable with a nonmobile pasture. I personally wouldn't have chickens if I couldn't free range or use a movable setup I think it improves the quality of life and eggs of the chickens so much. I love the big orange yolks that you get from pasturing your chickens.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom