Which is the best commercial Breed?

I see, so its just a matter of luck if i get very productive high quality parent stock layers

In part you get what you pay for and do your research on. Show birds aren't the best form of layer usually in any breed.

Breeds being kept as Heritage flocks, tend to produce better and offer an excellent beginning. If I wanted to produce more eggs than I am getting, I'd buy from someone breeding a Heritage flock of the birds I want. Since I free range, buying from someone free ranging the breed I want is useful if I can find it. I'd probably buy into more Australorps, blue or black, from someone working on Heritage birds.

I like Delawares, they're aggressive foragers, they gain wt solidly, they're wary and capable on pasture, man they take out the bugs, snakes, mice and lizards. And here shortly my eldest pullets should begin to lay. I have three grades of Delaware stock and it does show, the Heritage birds and breeder birds are larger, better type, better color. The hatchery birds smaller and there were a lot more culls in the lot.

Luck isn't nearly as important as doing careful, thorough HOMEWORK on breeds and breeders.

Back
Top Bottom