Which is which?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BWKatz, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    How can you tell a cuckoo marans, a dominick and a barred rock apart ? Do you just have to wait til she lays an egg to see the color?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    doms have a flat to the head comb, marans have an odd look to their barring and whitish pink legs single comb, barred rocks have yellow legs and look barred with a single comb

hope this helps

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Thanks. I was thinking I have the cuckooand this confirms it. Wondering if you have any extra Polish?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Dominiques have a rose comb, yellow legs and cuckoo (fuzzy) barring. Barred rocks have precise barring (not fuzzy), single combs and yellow legs. Cuckoo marans have cuckoo barring, single combs and pink/white legs. Hatchery rocks tend to not have precise barring, and hatchery dominiques and marans tend to also not have good cuckoo barring--in a hatchery bird you might be hard pressed to tell which kind of barring it is. \

Marans might also have feathered legs.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the only polish I hatched this year were projects, outta that all that's left needing a home is a 5 month roo. There's a new batch that my friend hatched out, but I am not sure as to what I am keeping yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by