Which is which?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BWKatz, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BWKatz

BWKatz Songster

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    How can you tell a cuckoo marans, a dominick and a barred rock apart ? Do you just have to wait til she lays an egg to see the color?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    doms have a flat to the head comb, marans have an odd look to their barring and whitish pink legs single comb, barred rocks have yellow legs and look barred with a single comb

hope this helps

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Songster

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Thanks. I was thinking I have the cuckooand this confirms it. Wondering if you have any extra Polish?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Dominiques have a rose comb, yellow legs and cuckoo (fuzzy) barring. Barred rocks have precise barring (not fuzzy), single combs and yellow legs. Cuckoo marans have cuckoo barring, single combs and pink/white legs. Hatchery rocks tend to not have precise barring, and hatchery dominiques and marans tend to also not have good cuckoo barring--in a hatchery bird you might be hard pressed to tell which kind of barring it is. \

Marans might also have feathered legs.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the only polish I hatched this year were projects, outta that all that's left needing a home is a 5 month roo. There's a new batch that my friend hatched out, but I am not sure as to what I am keeping yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by