Which ivermectin do I use?

AMoritz

Songster
Jul 12, 2018
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
I had a pretty medium to kinda bad case of scaly leg mites with my chickens last year (didn't know they were even a thing then or what to look for :barnie) anyway.... I'm concerned some may still have some as their scales still don't look "normal". Since they possibly had them for so long I was going to use ivermectin on them in conjunction with Vaseline this round so HOPEFULLY I get them all with no residual mites hanging around this time. But which one do I use?!
Also, we treated mites daily for about 2-3 weeks but reading some of these threads it's suggested for up to 12 weeks?! How many weeks should I actually use the ivermectin and the Vaseline?!
I know ivermectin should only be applied to bare skin at the back of their neck once every two weeks. But for how long do I keep treatment up for these?
Screenshot_20210509-233056~2.png
Screenshot_20210509-233157.png

Photos of birds and their legs?

The first photo is Permethrin. The second is Ivermectin Pour On.
Your title askes which Ivermectin to use - if you are treating SLM and/or lice/mites and wanting to use Ivermectin, then the Pour On that you have in the photo is correct.

Ivermectin Pour On Dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight applied to the base of the neck along the spine, coming into contact with the skin. Repeat in 14 days.

Ivermectin should take care of the SLM if you give the correct dosing, but applying vaseline to the legs once a week would be good - this can help heal the legs and smother mites.

What did you use to treat mites daily? Permethrin? Read your label for that product you have in the photo. I don't think the Permethrin is supposed to be applied daily, it does have a residual affect.
Have you also treated housing? Roosting bars and nesting boxes?

Photos of birds and their legs?

The first photo is Permethrin. The second is Ivermectin Pour On.
Your title askes which Ivermectin to use - if you are treating SLM and/or lice/mites and wanting to use Ivermectin, then the Pour On that you have in the photo is correct.

Ivermectin Pour On Dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight applied to the base of the neck along the spine, coming into contact with the skin. Repeat in 14 days.

Ivermectin should take care of the SLM if you give the correct dosing, but applying vaseline to the legs once a week would be good - this can help heal the legs and smother mites.

What did you use to treat mites daily? Permethrin? Read your label for that product you have in the photo. I don't think the Permethrin is supposed to be applied daily, it does have a residual affect.
Have you also treated housing? Roosting bars and nesting boxes?

Ok I saw information for both of those so wanted to be sure before I bought anything first. I can get photos later today they're currently all free ranging ATM. When we found out we had them we cleaned out everything, pressure washed and I sprayed a bleach water solution on the floor (orlts concrete so just wanted to make sure everything was cleaned properly) and our wooden roost bars. Nesting boxes we threw out and replaced. We waited til everything was dried out and then relayed our bedding and some DE on the floor and let the birds back in that night. We treated them all daily with Vaseline for 2-3 weeks. By the 2ns week some legs looked perfect and the worse one's had scales falling off where it was the worst. So we went another week (so 3 weeks total) to be sure.
But like I said, I'm reading threads were people applied Vaseline for 10-12 weeks for mite infestation. So I'm worried we didn't do ours long enough. Which is why I wanted to try the ivermectin since it appears to be one application and then a 2nd application in 14 days and that's it.

Sometimes it takes a while for the scales to heal. Vaseline once a week for 10-12 weeks won't hurt anything.

If the scales are healing, then likely the mites are gone. Permethrin to treat housing is always good to have on hand.
So I should actually get both then? The permethrin 10% to treat the housing, and the ivermectin if I have another bad case. I'll check their legs again tonight when they roost and see how they look. Ty!

Permethrin can be used to treat housing and the birds for lice and mites that live on the body (northern fowl mites/red roost mites).
Scaly leg mites live under the scales of the legs and feet, so spraying Permethrin (or dusting) is generally not effective, this is why an oil (vaseline, coconut oil, etc.) is used to smother them.
Ivermectin is effective in treating SLM, lice and mites, but you will want to research withdrawal periods if that's something that may be an issue for you.

Housing always needs to be treated, not just birds.

So this is my Roos legs, they look really good compared to what they had been. Checked all my girls legs and they all look excellent. But my Roo doesn't have me convinced that we got them all the first time....
What do you think?

Attachments

• PXL_20210510_210149629.jpg
    PXL_20210510_210149629.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 71

Back
Top Bottom