Which kind of brooder?

joeyfender

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 1, 2013
Texas
I already have a brooder for my RIR and BJG. But I need to get a new one for my five silkies I am getting next week. Should I build one of my own or buy a 50 gallon tub from Wal-mart? I need the fastest and cheapest possibility as it is next week. Thanks :)

You can just take some cardboard or anything you have including straw or hay bales and block off a corner of the garage, storage shed or anything you can get electric to and hand a heat lamp or two. Just make sure you have some cold protection below. I sometimes put a piece of scrap plywood on the concrete floor and put the shavings on that.

this is a box free from the grocery store. it is the box they get there watermelons in. just ask they will give it too you. its huge and very thick and strong. makes a huge perfect brooder

I've really been agonizing over the warming light/cords/bulb size/heat level/fire/other pets thing for my brooder. Decided to bite the bullet and order an EcoGlo 20 from Brinsea. I all of a sudden feel a tremendous sense of relief! There is a coupon code "ADozenGirlz" that gives you 10% off. I saw they were also available through Amazon. Will let you know how it goes...

No but make sure it's high enough they can't jump out.

Just hang the lamp low enough that the chicks can fit under it and if there is ample space they can get away and find their comfort zone.
Use the chicks activity as your guide. Huddled under the lamp = too cold, moving in and out = just right, crowding farthest from heat = too hot. I don't use a thermometer any more.
Use good quality extension cords and secure the lamp well so you have no worries.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom