Which marigolds to plant for chickens to eat?

SBChickenLady

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hi all! I’ve read various places that marigold flowers are good for chickens to eat with health benefits. However, I’ve seen certain articles that specify that there are species of marigolds that are bad. Does anyone hear give marigold petals to their chickens as a nutritious treat and if so, which type do you use/grow? Thanks! (Photo with puppy who likes to share treats with the chickens too

Attachments

• IMG_3297.jpeg
    IMG_3297.jpeg
    767.6 KB · Views: 18
This has a lot of the old herbal lore about edible marigold (Calendula)
https://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/m/marigo16.html

The 'bad' type you've read about is probably Tagetes, which is also called marigold, confusingly.

I have pot marigolds in the garden and my chickens just ignore them. (Which incidentally makes them another flowering plant that is perfectly fine in a garden with free ranging chickens.) Free ranging birds get plenty of carotene from fresh grass. Feed manufacturers add dried marigold petals as a (poor) substitute for the fresh greens that a free ranging bird gets to try to make confined hens' egg yolks look the same colour as free ranging hens' egg yolks. But I don't think the birds will eat them unless there's nothing better on offer.

Back
Top Bottom