Which meds to have on hand?

notsooldmcdonald

Songster
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Lempster, NH
Ok, so I browse this section of the forum, and can feel the anxiety creeping over me! As a "girl of action" I'm trying to cover my bases by asking this:

Are there any key meds that I should have on hand for an emergency? The mail takes a few days, and some of these issues don't give you that much time.
hu.gif

Thanks!
-Christian

We keep terramycin water soluble powder, terramycin eye gel, some eye wash and/or mild saline solution, and some organic apple cider vinegar if you can get it easily and prefer that instead of immediately resorting to antibiotics (we can't get it easily here). We also have vitamin/ electrolyte mixture, and just plain Pedialyte, also broad spectrum de-wormer and lice spray, and DE, petroleum jelly. and a styptic pencil. I am going to order some Aviacharge for this winter, kelp meal works too for extra vitamins through the winter but it is a little salty.

I would definitely have a coccidiosis med on hand, like Amprolium or perhaps a sulfa drug. When you find sign of coccidiosis, the clock is already ticking as intestinal damage has already occurred. There are several newer folks on the forum who have found this out the hard way ~ and the feed store isn't open at 11 at night.

I personally keep 3-4 different categories of worming meds on hand, most of which I have not yet used.

I keep Terramycin on hand, but I should probably also order some Tylan and/or Baytril.

First aid supplies are good too, like Blu-Kote, iodine, neosporin, and I think the prev poster mentioned saline solution. I keep a collection of syringes, a couple of needles, and God forbid I should ever have to use one of my sterile, sealed scalpels.

I use vaseline and Prozap poultry dust (pyrethrin) on a regular basis, so I have those on hand. I also use food-grade DE.

I use Oxine (chlorine dioxide) for cleaning and for application in the coops and water, but this is my own personal preference.

I keep a supply of probiotics (Immuno Charge from McMurray), vitamins/minerals (Avia Charge 2000 from McMurray), and electrolytes that I rotate through the water supply, but these are not emergency items.

Probably the most important thing I have is a collection of vet information on diseases/disorders, and a dosage chart I have been working on. I keep this in the vet med cabinet, and I also wrote my dosages on the med bottles with a fine sharpie so if I am in a pinch I don't have to run around looking things up. There are others on the forum who have shared med charts in the past, and when mine is in decent shape I will do the same.

It's wise of you to plan ahead! Good luck.

Last edited:
yoe mentoned poulrty dust. ive been using DE to keep lice from my girls. the other day i think i saw soom lice. where they come from i have no idea. there run and coop are kept very clean. they free range all day so i assume they can get them from the yard. sould i try poultry dust and sould o spread in there coop and run

Christian -
If you will go to the search box and type in "first aid kit", there are several older posts that are chock full of really good info! It includes links to good references, too.
Some of it is so good that I printed it and keep it with my chicken first aid box. Somewhere on here it has been said that if it is good enough to use on yourself, it is good enough for your chickens
smile.png

Quote:
Thank-you so much for the redirect! I do hate to re-tread, but I hadn't noticed anything in the faq, so I thought I'd ask. People have been so helpful, and *yes* I will print it out!

Many thanks, and best to all-

-Christian

wow this is a good thread. very helpful
smile.png

I just wanted to pipe in and say that for a cocci medicine I think it is much better to have Amprollium/Corrid than it is to have a Sulfa med. I have had issues with cocci this year and the state vet here said that the cocci is becoming resistant to the sulfa drugs

Eprinex by Ivomec-hard to find- poultry not listed on label. Is used for de worming. See Threads about this med. I am one of those learning(past 3 days) the"hardway" And yes the feed stores are not open at 11pm. I am treating for 3 different unconfirmed diagnosis hoping one of them will work. See all of my latest threads-with pictures. Never thought I would be so happy to see "normal" chicken poo.
caf.gif
So far I have purchased Sulmet, Corid, Eprinex, will be getting Tylan. I
love.gif
my chickens

fyi, we have a poultry/ exotic pets vet we consult once in a great while. He did point out (and this is certainly true) that it is normal for all birds to have a certain amount of lice or mites. He said that, unless they are badly infested, it is nothing to worry about. They can dust and take care of themselves, and if you use a lot of insecticide on them, then you can't eat the eggs, and I'd be leery about eating the meat, too.

Also, you should not give them electrolytes on a regular basis. We only use that vitamin/electrolyte stuff they sell in the feed stores if our flock looks a bit under the weather, or if some have been sick and/or recovering from being sick.

Back
Top Bottom