which meds????

lurky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Western MA
Since these are all my first chicks, i am just learning and mostly from all of you here. Even the people that dont know help by asking alot of questions that i can learn from before i need to know. One thing i am learning is that most of us newbies to chicks should know what most of the common problems are, and which meds we should always keep on hand in case we need to use them at some point. I bought vitamins for the water and some powder med antibiotic and some vitamins and electrolytes....but is there anything else because i would rather be prepared.

What is that for, bed bugs?
lau.gif

no, seriously....is it?

Diatomaceous earth is a natural insecticide. It'll help keep lice and mites from becoming a problem. A book I have suggests mixing the Diatomaceous earth with fireplace ashes for the peeps to use as a dustbath.

The DE (food grade only) will help keep down parasites, insects, etc on your birds and in your coop. Mixed with the feed it will act as a natural wormer as well as keeping insect out of your stored feed bins. DE works like microscopic razors that cut the exoskeleton of bugs, worms, flies and other such things. It also will help keep down the smell in the heat of summer. I stand firm behind the Perma Guard fossil shell flour. It really works.

The least chemically invasive techniques have given me some of the healthiest chickens over the years. We have never had a problem with sickness. Maintenance (like with using DE and feeding your chickens a really good cultured yogurt) will not only make the birds more healthy but the eggs they produce will be better as well - which is great nutrition for those of us who consume them.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks. With all the situations i read about...i'd rather be prepared. So far so good, but you never know what will happen, or what you might need.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom