Which of these breeds should I choose?

If you're not familiar with different breeds, my advice is to get some of several different breeds and see who you personally like. I've had breeds I fell in love with on paper (gold laced Wyandottes and speckled Sussex) that just didn't do it for me in person. I've had birds I didn't really want that breed (barred Rocks) that are now the foundation of my flock. So, find a hatchery that has a good variety and order a mix. Plus, that way you can tell them apart
wink.png
When you fall in love with a specific breed, you can then investigate finding a quality breeder of those birds and getting better stock.
Excellent advice. Try a variety of breeds that interest you. When you can get your favorites list down to one or 2 breeds then look for quality breeders to get better stock.

I found Sussex, Welsummers, Ameraucanas and Marans weren't for me. Finally settled on Faverolles. Yellow House Farm's rose comb Anconas and rose comb white Dorkings are definitely on my would love to try list.

Last edited:
I wanted to love my Favorelles, but they were too mellow to mix well with my other birds. I have one remaining sweet Favorelle hen, and won't get more unless it's a single breed flock. Yes, it's important to consider temperament; the sex-links and RIR's tent to be more aggressive in a mixed flock, IMO. Try a variety and see what you like best! Mary

This site has reviews for just about every type of chicken. Reading the reviews has helped me decide on a couple and I love the ones I have.

Thanks for the interesting posts, guys!
I have well over two acres of land for them to use, and I will put the Docile Breeds together, and the more aggressive ones together, so they can hold their own.
I actually think I am just going to get 2 or 3 of the breeds I mentioned, an house them in separate coops, and let them out at different times{partly so there isn't any interbreeding}.
I have looked at the Breed Reviews on this site, but I wanted to see what a few other people had to say, that perhaps didn't respond.
I have looked on basically every site I could that had reviews on these Breeds.
I think I have decided on a couple that actually aren't in my list. 83
Silver Penciled Barred Rocks
Double-Laced Barnevelders
Hollands

I'll be looking into if their hardy enough for winter, though. I know Hollands are.

Thanks for the interesting posts, guys!
I have well over two acres of land for them to use, and I will put the Docile Breeds together, and the more aggressive ones together, so they can hold their own.
I actually think I am just going to get 2 or 3 of the breeds I mentioned, an house them in separate coops, and let them out at different times{partly so there isn't any interbreeding}.
I have looked at the Breed Reviews on this site, but I wanted to see what a few other people had to say, that perhaps didn't respond.
I have looked on basically every site I could that had reviews on these Breeds.
I think I have decided on a couple that actually aren't in my list. 83
Silver Penciled Barred Rocks
Double-Laced Barnevelders
Hollands

I'll be looking into if their hardy enough for winter, though. I know Hollands are.
It's just Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks, not Barred Rocks. Barred and Silver penciled are two different color patterns.

Back
Top Bottom