Which of these four......

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by guin lover, Sep 22, 2009.

1. guin lover

guin lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    which of these four pheasants are the easiest for a rookie to raise? i'm getting into pheasants and the breeder near me only has these 4:

Reeves Pheasants
    Swinhoe's Pheasants
    Golden Pheasants
    Ringneck Pheasants

Please help!!

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Probibly ringneck pheasants

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Actually The Goldens Are Much More Docile And Personable. And Just As Hardy As Ringnecks Tho Usually A Bit More Pricey. While I Dont Place A Higher Value On Individual Speces, If You Start With Ringnecks And Get The Fine Tuning Done At Least If You Loose A Bird Or 2 You Wont Be Loosing A Nice Ornamental Bird.

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Lol leave it up to you for the right ansewer [​IMG]

5. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I would have to agree with the goldens. I sold my ring necks because they were just too flighty and aggressive. I really like the reeves but they can be a little aggressive to both captor and cage mates, especially during the breeding season and I heard the silvers are similar. The goldens however seem to be very docile and get accustomed to the captor faster than the others. This is my own personal experience but I hope it helps.

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Any of those four breeds is good for a beginner.But yes the goldens are more docile then the others.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes the Goldens.

Ringnecks are bad about pecking,unless they have lots of room, reeves the males can be hard on the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by