Which Older Hens are still Laying?

randylyons

Chirping
Oct 6, 2020
Question: We have 10 hens and only 3 of them are laying. I suspect the person who sold them to me knew they were approaching their "end of egg laying" stage, but told me they were young and just now entering their egg laying stage. How can I tell which three are still laying? I want to either butcher the rest or re-home them and start over with chicks in the Spring.

Question: We have 10 hens and only 3 of them are laying. I suspect the person who sold them to me knew they were approaching their "end of egg laying" stage, but told me they were young and just now entering their egg laying stage. How can I tell which three are still laying? I want to either butcher the rest or re-home them and start over with chicks in the Spring.
Since when do they live with you? Being rehomed causes stress to chickens and very often they will stop laying for some weeks because of it. They need time to readjust to their new sourroundings and new feed etc.

Depending on their age, pullets might not have started because of short daylight during winter. If so, they will soon start as they days get longer now after winter solstice.

You can feel their pelvic bones situated either side of the cloaca to feel if they are actually laying (1-2 fingers wide) or not (close together).

I'm not sure if you are north or south of the equator. That might have a bearing in what is going in. It is possible somebody sold you a bill of goods. These may be older and near the end of their laying cycle. But especially if you are north of the equator it's possible these molted and are waiting until the days get a little longer to start laying like gangbusters. Whether north or south of the equator it is possible they are at point of lay, most just haven't started yet. You are looking at them, I'm not, it is totally your call.

You can use the distance between pelvic bones if you wish to determine which are laying now. I prefer to look at the vent. If the vent is dry and tight they are not laying. If the vent is soft, pink, and moist they are laying or real close to laying. Once you see the difference it is pretty easy to recognize.

I would wait, before making any decisions, the solstice just passed, and with the soon to be longer daylight, I would expect them to start laying.

If you are getting three a day, more or less, there is a darn good chance that you will have a very productive flock, as the others come into lay. A little patience could pay off big time.

You can use the distance between pelvic bones if you wish to determine which are laying now. I prefer to look at the vent. If the vent is dry and tight they are not laying. If the vent is soft, pink, and moist they are laying or real close to laying. Once you see the difference it is pretty easy to recognize.
Better yet, check both pelvic bones and vent status.
This might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom