Which one is laying? From an English novice hen keeper!

Even hens that lay every day can sometimes lay a small or unusual egg. It is not unnatural or an indication that something is wrong. Raise chickens long enough and you'll see all sort of anomalies. And believe me you will see some strange things. LOL

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. With Easter fast approaching I don't think I will be painting this one! Rachel

If you can catch them (maybe after dark?) feel between the pubic bones over the vent area. If you can get two fingers between the pubic bones, the hen is probably laying. Also, as was mentioned above, the vent will look more full and moist if a hen is laying. That is harder to judge though I think, unless you have had a chance to look at a lot of chicken bums!
p.s. I learned this a while ago while I was in 4-H studying for the national poultry and egg judging competition in Louisville. Seems to work. I have two hens right now, an EE and a RIR. I know the EE is the one laying since the eggs are green and when I compare pubic bones there is an obvious difference between the two.

What is an EE and a RIR? Sorry not up with the chicken lingo! Is a Buff Orp a BO? What about a Partridge Orp, a PO?
smile.png

Quote:
Yes you COULD call a partridge orp a PO, but they are so rare in the US, that nobody would know what you meant!

We just have Buff, blue, black and white in orpingtons.

I would love to see pictures.

Sorry, I shouldn't have abbreviated! The easter eggers lay colored eggs and the Rhode Island Red would lay a brown egg if she were laying, so it is easy for me to tell. My RIR is lucky she's cute! I think this is a bit of evidence that the production breeds seem to "burn out" earlier and not lay to such an old age. They are 4 this year. The EE gives me an egg every other day. Good girl.

Quote:
Here are my two beautiful ladies from the other side of the pond. Sorry about the size of the picture, but my pc won't allow me to reduce the size.

100_0215.jpg

Quote:
Yes you COULD call a partridge orp a PO, but they are so rare in the US, that nobody would know what you meant!

We just have Buff, blue, black and white in orpingtons.

I would love to see pictures.

Thanks for your message. I've just posted a picture of my ladies on this thread. Happy Easter. Rachel
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom