Which one is laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Josh45640, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Josh45640

Josh45640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Ive got two Mallard hens and one Runner duck that free range 24/7. Ive found a nest that one of them has made in the corner of the fence and has been laying an egg a day there. I havent seen any of them sitting there but all three hang out in the area. The eggs are white and look like perfect ovals. Its almost impossible to tell which end is the big end because they are so similar. The two mallards are over a year old and the runner is probably 6 months old. I figured that it was one of the mallard because of the age (I just had the mallards given to me last week). However, ive never had mallards before, but the wild ones lay green eggs. So Are these eggs from my runner? Do they lay at 6 months old?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Mallards generally lay green eggs, although my Rouens from time to time lay one that is almost white or very pale tan. So, I would say more likely the runner. But you may not really know until you catch one in the act.

3. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    It is the runner who is laying. Mallards lay smallish pale cream eggs and runners lay big green eggs.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    How old are they before they generally start laying???

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    any one????????

6. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Around 16 to 20 weeks of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by