Which one is this egg coming from??

billy42000

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Now I know the grey one is suppose to lay those but is it possible the one next to it laid that egg? Im asking because I was in the coop earlier and thought I saw the brown hen drop that egg out. I was watching her for a few minutes and turned away for a second and she stood up and I heard a thump and the egg was underneath still wet. I grabbed it and it dried completely within seconds.

The brown hen looks like an Easter Egger, though from the photo, it doesn't appear she has much of a beard, if any. So, I'd say that is who laid the egg, if you think you saw her lay it.

The "grey" hen is actually what you'd call blue, not grey.

Last edited:
Now I know the grey one is suppose to lay those but is it possible the one next to it laid that egg? Im asking because I was in the coop earlier and thought I saw the brown hen drop that egg out. I was watching her for a few minutes and turned away for a second and she stood up and I heard a thump and the egg was underneath still wet. I grabbed it and it dried completely within seconds.

The grey (blue) hen is a Blue Cochin, so would lay a brown egg. The brown bird in this photo is the bird laying the green eggs.

The blue bird is a Blue Cochin hen, which lays a brown egg. The other bird is an Easter Egger pullet, and is the bird that laid you that pretty green/blue egg.

Last edited:
Agree with everyone else. The cochin will lay a lighter brown/creamy tan egg, your brown hen is one of the beardless EE we're seeing a lot of the last year or so.

Back
Top Bottom