Which one is this egg coming from??

billy42000

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Now I know the grey one is suppose to lay those but is it possible the one next to it laid that egg? Im asking because I was in the coop earlier and thought I saw the brown hen drop that egg out. I was watching her for a few minutes and turned away for a second and she stood up and I heard a thump and the egg was underneath still wet. I grabbed it and it dried completely within seconds.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
The brown hen looks like an Easter Egger, though from the photo, it doesn't appear she has much of a beard, if any. So, I'd say that is who laid the egg, if you think you saw her lay it.

The "grey" hen is actually what you'd call blue, not grey.

Last edited:

Wyandottes7

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Now I know the grey one is suppose to lay those but is it possible the one next to it laid that egg? Im asking because I was in the coop earlier and thought I saw the brown hen drop that egg out. I was watching her for a few minutes and turned away for a second and she stood up and I heard a thump and the egg was underneath still wet. I grabbed it and it dried completely within seconds.

The grey (blue) hen is a Blue Cochin, so would lay a brown egg. The brown bird in this photo is the bird laying the green eggs.

BantamLover21

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 24, 2013
The blue bird is a Blue Cochin hen, which lays a brown egg. The other bird is an Easter Egger pullet, and is the bird that laid you that pretty green/blue egg.

Last edited:

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
Agree with everyone else. The cochin will lay a lighter brown/creamy tan egg, your brown hen is one of the beardless EE we're seeing a lot of the last year or so.

Top Bottom