Which one laid this egg?..and how can i blow it out to save it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhen, Oct 17, 2008.

1. schmije

schmije Songster

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    We've been getting eggs just like that for several weeks now. Small with speckles. They're coming from one of our RIR's. She was laying normal sized eggs for a while, then her eggs suddenly shrunk. They've gradually gotten bigger over the weeks, but they're still smaller than all of the others. The shells are very thick, and when we break them open the yolk is normal size, and there's hardly any white. If your hen is anything like ours, you'll be getting lots more of them in the next few weeks.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    huh..very interesting schmije!..thanks for the info!..maybe it is penny...[​IMG]...

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have a marans that lays a light colored speckled egg like that.

4. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Songster

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Quote:My silkie eggs are a creamy white. But I have just started to get silkie eggs this last week & I am not an expert. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    umm..i do have a cuckoo also......wish i knew which one!..i need a video camera in there!...[​IMG]..catch them in the act!!

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:My silkie eggs are a creamy white. But I have just started to get silkie eggs this last week & I am not an expert. [​IMG] [​IMG]

got a pic of one?..and its size? maybe i can compare it..cause i have a polish/silkie mix...wonder if she would lay a brown egg?? thanks!, Wendy

7. Jamie821

Jamie821 Songster

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    I bet it was the maran that is what layed my small eggs. She had just started to lay and the egg looked just like yours

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks jamie...i'll be watching them closely...wonder if it will always lay speckeled ones like that?...i like them..[​IMG]

9. schmije

schmije Songster

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Two of our RIR's lay speckled eggs like that. One lays big ones and one lays small ones. They're my favorites!

10. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh dear, that egg is precious.

Good luck blowing it out, it's definitely worth keeping!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: