Which one's have Ameraucana in them??? 1 week old chicks

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I have 5 chicks that hatched last Friday, 3 of them hatched out of Black Orp/Maran eggs and 2 hatched out of black Ameraucana eggs. I have 2 roosters, a Black Copper Maran roo and a Black Ameraucana roo. I am trying to figure out which ones are from which eggs and who the daddies are. What do you think?? And best of all, I think I have 4 pullets and 1 cockerel. WOOHOO!!

DSC_5189.jpg

Chick 1 - I am thinking this is from the Ameraucana egg and maybe the Ameraucana roo??

DSC_5192.jpg

Chick 2 - I think this one is part Ameraucana also

DSC_5193.jpg

Chick 3 - I know this one came out of a brown egg, and I am guessing the daddy is the BCM roo. I am fairly sure this little one is a cockerel also.

DSC_5197.jpg

Chick 4 - Straight comb on this one, but does it also have muffs?? Is this one part Ameraucana??

DSC_5203.jpg

Chick 5 - I am guessing this one is part Ameraucana because of it's comb.

DSC_5214.jpg

Lily - Black / Lavender Split Ameraucana Hen (Mom to 2 of them)

DSC_5209.jpg

Louie - BC Maran Roo (Dad to some)

DSC_5206.jpg

Leroy - Black / Lavender Split Ameraucana roo (Dad to some ??) ((He does have some gold leakage on him))

Last edited:
1, 2, 4 have Ameraucana in them. If the last one has a pea comb. . . Then it is likely ALL those have Ameraucana in them, as it means your Ameraucanas have only one pair of beard/muffs, thus they will pass on clean faced chicks. Not a good thing.

The muff and beard gene are "incompletely dominant" which means that they don't occur all the time when crossed to a muffless bird. The pea comb is also an incompletely dominant autosomal gene.

It will be pretty hard to tell whom is what until the girls start laying, or if they completely fit into the standard of one or the other breed type.

I did a cross of orp and ameraucana last summer and got a pullet with a single comb. I grew her out to give to a friend for egg laying and imagine my surprise when she laid a nice blueish egg........ theory suggest that single combed birds rarely inherit the blue egg gene.

This gal lays the best egg out of all my crosses, the rest of them lay a khaki egg.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I know 2 of them are from my Ameraucana hen, since they hatched out of blue eggs, I am just not sure which roo is the father, and 3 of them hatched out of brown eggs, from my Maran/Orp hens, and again, I am not sure which roo is the dad. I am fairly certain they do not have mites, they were eating, and playing in the dirt outside with their momma hen, when I took these pictures, so I am pretty sure it is feed/dirt on their faces, but I will check them for sure!!

Back
Top Bottom