1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

which pattern is dominate

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muddyhorse, Jul 25, 2011.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I want to produce a silver sussex with lavender instead of black markings. I understand how the lavender gene works, takes two copies ect ect. how ever I would like to know which pattern is dominate between the columbian of a coronation sussex and the pattern of a silver sussex. I don't know what you would call the silvers pattern, silver laced I suppose . the pattern is not very consistent in the birds, some feathers are all black some are laced, maybe birchin I'm not sure.
    any way should I use coronation sussex or a lav orp
    thanks

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Genetics 101

There is no dominance in the patterns. There is only dominance among alleles or epistasis between genes. You can get what you want if you have a breeding regimen. More later have to go to work.

Tim

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. muddyhorse

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    thank you

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Do you plan on crossing a coronation sussex with a silver sussex? If so

coronation sussex X silver sussex = F1 silver sussex ( they will look more like silver sussex than coronation)

Do a sibling cross or F1 cross = F2 some lavender silver sussex birds ( the birds will look similar to lavender silver sussex) - you will have to hatch chicks until you get a male and female

Cross an F2 X F2= lavender silver sussex ( hatch chicks until you get good looking birds)

Any chicks that have white/yellowish white down are wheaten and you do not want to use them for breeding. Only use chicks that have the down color of a silver sussex chick or a lavender chick.

an alternative breeding regimen

coronation sussex X silver sussex = F1 silver sussex ( they will look more like silver sussex than coronation)

Do a sibling cross or F1 cross = F2 some lavender silver sussex birds ( the birds will look similar to lavender silver sussex) - you will have to hatch chicks until you get at least one lavender male or a few lavender females

Back cross a lavender F2 ( looks similar to silver sussex) to a silver sussex= BC1 silver sussex ( they carry lavender)

Cross BC1 x BC1= approximately 1 in four lavender silver sussex it depends on the genotype of the lavender F2

Tim

5. muddyhorse

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    thank you that is very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by