Which predator?

Get this issue and read the "Criminal Intent" section! We live right smack dab in the middle of civilization and busy busy roads, restaurants, etc and we have FOX, coyotes, you name it. Never thought anything like this would be around considering this is one of the busiest areas of the city...until I heard my hens screaming one morning and looked out the window (in the daylight) to see a fox STANDING ON TOP OF THE COOP!!! One- never thought there were fox around, 2- didnt think they would be out in daylight, 3- didn't realize it would jump on top of the coop and the run and 4- after getting rid of that fox, ANOTHER one came!!! So, don't rule out those wild animals that you think aren't around...because they probably are!

My hen is gone. She is free range in the country with another hen and 2 ducks. The others came back to the coop in the evening and one hen didnt. I searched the yard, no feathers indicating a struggle. We have coyotes, skunks, racoons, weasels, hawks, and owls, but during the day I wouldnt expect any of those. Searched the yard in case she got trapped somewhere but havent found her. Any ideas what could take a chicken without leaving a mess of feathers? I would expect a predator to get the ducks before a hen.

Last year my 3 pekin ducks were killed by something. Their heads were missing, bodies left intact. They were in a mesh pen 3 feet tall by my irrigation ditch. I assume it was a skunk or racoon based on the feet prints
. What else would take the heads and leave the bodies? Im in the country with all kinds of wildlife and this happened on a rainy night in the spring.

My girls were getting picked off regularly until I put up some long, 2 x 4s and stretched out some nylon bird netting, overtop the coops. (You know the black kind that you put over your berry bushes &/or cherry trees?) The hens didn't care for it too much. It seriously impeded their ability to fly over to the adjoining coops but I have not found scattered feathers outside the pen since! It works GREAT for the owl problem I was having. I had HOPED I wouldn't CATCH one in it and so far, so good!!

Back
Top Bottom