Which Roo should get the ax?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JayBird+16, Dec 3, 2008.

1. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    OK, so I started with chickens this past spring. I ordered 10 hens and ended up with 3 Roo's. It's time to cull, but how do I choose? 1 Roo, Sal, has been a pain since he was 3 days old - he's dinner. But out of the remaining Roo's, I have an EE who is a quintessential rooster, he struts, he crows, he dances and protects his girls.
    I have a Black Star Roo, he’s got personality, but he gets picked on by the other Roo’s and has never crowed or had a chance to protect anything. I like him more, but am wondering if he will step up and be a true Rooster after the other 2 are gone or should I keep 1 of the others? Please help, my hens are being tormented by 3 Roo’s and someone needs to go.

2. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    EE would be my choice to keep.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Keep your favorite. Once he's the only one, he'll be the top one. My experience with EE roos have all been neutral to negative. Of the 6 or 7 I've had over the years, be EE's or just mixes, only one was "nice" as the others turned on me between 7-10 months old.

4. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Get rid of the one you dont like first - maybe more of the Black Star's personality will come out once the mean one is gone. I think the decision between the two might be more clear for you once Sal is out of the picture.

5. raizin

raizin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    My Coop
    keep the one you like. I just thinned out my roosters (had five). I have one now. He is much quieter now. Used to crow nonstop all day long and into half the night. Now that there is no competition he is calming down. My hens are starting to look better also. I only had nine and they were getting beat up.

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep, keep the one you like. He'll step up when he gets the chance.

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Definently keep the one you like!!!

I have the same dillemma. I have 3 that I just can't choose between even though one is my favorite. The other 2 are just so dang cute [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by