Which roo should I keep? (and should I keep one at all)

If it were me, I would not keep the white rooster, as tempting as it may be. White birds are more susceptible to predators. The rooster himself will probably be fine, but since the white gene is so dominant most or all of his chicks (future laying hens) will be white, and be more susceptible to predators. Just my $0.02.
wink.png

A rooster and 12 hens is the perfect ratio, by the way. Good luck with your chickens!
thumbsup.gif

Which roo is better to you and your family members? A good flock roo isn't always a good family roo. Sometimes the secondary roo is my favorite and if #1 starts causing trouble, off he goes to the sale barn... a secondary roo will step up to the plate when the top roo is gone. Just recently got rid of the top roo (causing trouble with me) and kept his gentler brother... he's doing a wonderful job and is much easier for me to live with... flock is much calmer also.

Thanks for the advice, everybody. Also, Mmaddie's mom - that most definitely applies to me, the roo is good for the flock but very nervous around me and after your post, I'm getting the feeling that the flock as a whole will be calmer if I remove him. But they're still pretty young - under four months. When should I start culling?

Back
Top Bottom