Which roos to cull and keep

wvplucker

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
A while back i bought 20 "assorted reds" at TSC, and they threw in 4 for free. I now have a few RIR hens several gold comet hens and 7 RIR roos. I am thinking about keeping 2 roos. Some are larger than others. A couple follow me around like a puppy, and a few stay clear away from me. My chickens free range all day. I let them out at 7 a.m before i go to work, and close the coop door at 9 p.m. Should I keep the bigger, more aggressive roos to protect the hens, or keep a couple that are a little smaller, but act like pets, and do not flee when i get close. The hens are not laying yet, but should be in a few weeks.

I wondered about that. I am a newbie to chickens. The ones that come close, in the back of my head I'm waiting for them to peck me, but they do not. They just get about 6 inches away from the ankles

I don't have any RIR, but my roos (and a few hens) only follow me because they are waiting for me to throw scratch for them - even if I only throw it once a day. Before I started throwing scratch more often, only the ones I handled young would come check me out.

I don't know exactly how old they are, but I would definitely cull overly mean roosters (ok, with RIR that may be saying practically all of them from what I've heard, lol) and possibly any that have noticible defects. A roo that attacks you is going to make life miserable.

If you're going to keep a roo, try to keep the best of the flock; look for both good 'personality', health, and breeding standard if possible. If you can't get all three, decide what you would like in your flock the most (although a healthy chicken is a live chicken, that certainly counts for alot!!)

The ones that follow me are definitely looking for scratch, but it is always the same 2, and the rest stay back til i am away and then eat the scratch.

Mine went to the dangerous side at about a year old. I can't trust them around children and have even had to grab the bull by the horns myself on a few occassions. They are both on retreat now, to give the girls a break, so I have no idea what they will act like when they join the flock again.
I would keep the roos that stay away, provided they have other qualities to offer me. Have a beauty contest and the winner doesn't go into freezer camp.

it seems like the bigger they are, they farther away from me they hang. are the bigger roos better guardians of the hens?

Mine have been the opposite, My friendly boy is very protective of his girls and will even take on the dog if he gets too close. He is still quite friendly toward me and takes treats from my hand. He is now 2 years old.

I have a mixed bunch of chickens that are all quite friendly, some more than others. I do believe it has a lot to do with breed as well as how much you are with them.
love.gif
hugs.gif

The other roosters that always stayed away, run at the site of danger! And will bite me if I can get a hold of them, were pretty rough with the girls.

I would personally keep the nice boys. BUT thats just me.

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom