Which Rooster(s) Would You Keep - POLL

Which rooster would you keep in your flock if you were going to keep a rooster?

• Foghorn, 32 week old White Leghorn, sweet heart who takes good care of the ladies, protective and sw

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Francis, 19 week old Lavender Orpington, bites the ladies and rough handles them, just started crowi

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Daisy, 19 week old Partridge Silkie, he's beautiful, but doesn't crow (yet) and doesn't take care of

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If your looking to perpetuate your flock, and if all the hens are Lav Orp's I would definately cull the smaller two. Observe your Francis to see if being the only unchallenged rooster alters his behavior. If so keep him, if not cull him too. Find another.
I do have a mixed flock. Pullets outside with the roosters include: 1 White Leghorn, 1 Ancona, 1 EE, 1 Silkie and 4 Lavender Orpington. I have 2 WL/EE mix 3 week olds in a brooder. I also have 8 Welsummer and 8 Ameraucana eggs incubating & some are due to hatch on Tuesday. My goals with a rooster: Keep the flock safe from predators Maintain order within the flock Take good care of the girls Possibly breeding but only for my own benefit to have colorful eggs

If your looking to perpetuate your flock, and if all the hens are Lav Orp's I would definately cull the smaller two. Observe your Francis to see if being the only unchallenged rooster alters his behavior. If so keep him, if not cull him too. Find another.

I agree that the Orpington will likely become gentler to hens once he is unchallenged and they accept him as a mate.

The Orp might, and then again he might not. At least with the Leghorn you know for sure he treats the ladies well.

Good point about keeping the Orp if you want some little Orps.

Could you relocate and pen the other two roosters away from the flock for a week to see if Francis improves his manners? If his behavior did not improve to your satisfaction, you could still replace him with Foghorn.

You might also be able to keep the silkie with either of the big roosters.

Thank you everyone for your input and votes. It is so hard to choose who to keep and who to send away. I know they don't live very long lives, but each of these guys we hatched out ourselves, so we feel a little bit of attachment to them. I still miss my 3 little White Leghorn roosters we gave to my friend. I don't regret it though because it paved the way for more layers - and having layers is what my flock plan is all about.

With that plan in mind we've decided to go rooster free and that means Francis and Foghorn are to be rehomed.

We will keep Daisy for awhile (I know he's a rooster, but he doesn't act like one) he keeps our Silkie pullet, Topspin, company and they watch out for each other. Plus my daughter isn't ready to give him up.

Both of my children agree that Francis and Foghorn should go to our friend, even though they will miss them. My DH has no opinion on the matter. I am still waivering on getting rid of them.

The easy part is coming up with the plan, the hard part is putting it in action. If I'm still posting about them in another week - you'll know I chickened out of getting rid of anyone.

Sad day. We finally got to rehome Foghorn and Francis. My friend built them a safe coop so I think now they may last awhile there. Davy, FKA Daisy, has already taken the helm. Hoping the transition goes smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom