Which rooster should be culled?

The buff Orpington is still young and he might not know how to properly mate with the hens yet. The hens don't want him becouse like @bobbi-j said, he's still immature. I also have a 5 month old cockerel right now. He's trying, but he just can't get the hang of breeding yet. For that reason, my hens aren't too interested in him. The only difference is that my boy is the only rooster in the flock.

Don't keep the Maran. I don't think it's worth risking it. As the buff Orpington matures, he'll be better to the hens and I think he'll turn out to be a way nicer rooster.

I had a beautiful Speckled Sussex we called Gregor who was very dominant and aggressive about mating but very protective of his girls, called them to eat, and attacked everyone but me in the yard whe they were let out to free range in the evening. I have a wonderfully sweet brown leghorn named Hank who is and has been the main man of the yard. I was torn about culling Gregor until at 16 months old he started attacking me. I was able to show him I wouldn't back down and catch and hold him until he calmed down but he continued to try to get me when my back was turned. One morning I went to clean the roost poop board and found Hank bloody and injured shaking and trembling. Gregor had tore him up. I was able to separate Gregor from the flock and tend Hank bringing him back to full cock daddy. He still has an occasional tremor but has fully healed. Gregor became chicken stew and my aggressive females are chilling out too. No regrets on keeping Hank over Gregor just wished I had done it earlier.

The Maran roo... tries to attack me daily. He is fine with my husband and daughter- just not me.

The Buff roo is sweet as pie with people- but right now aggressively mates with the hens. The hens Do Not want to mate with him- which I don’t know if that will fix itself if the other rooster is removed from the flock.

Personally, I would cull the Maran, and then watch how the Buff acts.

If you want a preview of how the Buff will act after the Maran is removed, before you do anything permanent, you could put the Maran in a separate pen (something like a dog crate in the garage).

This is my first flock and am back and forth on who I should keep.
You don't really have to keep either one.

You could cull them both and buy a different rooster from someone else (it's common to see people on this site list nice roosters for sale, when they just have too many).

Or you could cull them both and raise another from a chick next year. You could raise several from chicks next year, and butcher all but one of them, if you want a choice.

Or you could cull them both and just keep hens, which works well for many people. With no rooster, all the eggs will be infertile, but that only matters if you want to hatch chicks.

I have zero tolerance for an aggressive male.

The young buff is likely to grow less awkward as he matures.

But first,

What do you want a rooster for? What are your goals for having him?

When I free range them- I need one that is able to protect his flock. The Maran does that now. I was also wanting to hatch out Marans next year.

When I free range them- I need one that is able to protect his flock. The Maran does that now. I was also wanting to hatch out Marans next year.

As a respected senior member here has often said,

A rooster who is attacking the harmless human who is bringing food to the flock isn't paying attention to his duty to guard them from real hazards.

Advice please- I currently have 2 roosters. A black copper Maran about 9 mo old and a buff Orpington about 5 mo old.

I currently have 6 maran hens and 2 buff hens- I am trying to see which you think would be better to keep for my flock?

The Maran roo is great with the hens- keeps them in line, makes them get in the coop at night, finds them food etc. - the downside is he tries to attack me daily. He is fine with my husband and daughter- just not me.
The Buff roo is sweet as pie with people- but right now aggressively mates with the hens. The hens Do Not want to mate with him- which I don’t know if that will fix itself if the other rooster is removed from the flock.

This is my first flock and am back and forth on who I should keep. Thanks! Sorry for the long read.
Good morning
my advice about which rooster to keep is the one that's not attacking you
buffs are great. He will figure out how to put the girls up and mellow if he's not competing with another rooster but I've had lots of roosters and being attacked every day is not pleasant nor should be tolerated for your sake

My opinion would be to find him a home. I don't know how anyone can kill their chickens. I give them away and let them do as they want but always hope they will be a pet to someone. I had a very aggressive Barred and gave him to a guy that uses him in his pasture as an alarm.

I'd suggest trying to tame that maran like @Lacy Duckwing said earlier. The hens like him, and if you can tame it seems he'll be right about perfect (including his appearance... :D ) I know this sounds harsh, but if you can't tame him, kicking him when he attacks you might at least give him a bit of respect towards you.

I'm glad your orpington is sweet right now, but every orpington rooster I've had, however sweet he started out, has turned out to be a complete nightmare. They're vicious.

Back
Top Bottom