Which rooster to breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rock Wyandotte, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Rock Wyandotte

Rock Wyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Newbury, Vermont
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes are hatch mates from last summer. I can only keep one. Is there a preferred look? The mostly red one on top is larger and gentler. The bottom roo (a Splash?) is smaller but scrappy. Neither one is aggressive. Would love some input on this. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Better pics would help, but I'd keep the top bird. He looks to have better color to me, and nicer size. He also looks to have a correct rose comb.
    The second bird looks to have incorrect color, and I'm not sure what's up with that comb? It's supposed to be a rose comb.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with donrae. The top bird is closer to the APA standard. Being gentler is a plus as well. You don't want to breed aggression into your flock.

4. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA
    I also agree with Donrae, both in that the top rooster appears to be better quality, and that additional pictures might allow for better evaluation. I also select for temperament, but if the bottom one is just scrappy but not aggressive it might not disqualify him, especially if you need a protective rooster for free ranging, depending on how "scrappy" he is.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would also pick the first one.

6. Rock Wyandotte

Rock Wyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Newbury, Vermont
    Thank you all for your responses! They really helped me. Big Red is staying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by