Which rooster to keep?

eggguru4u

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
I have one Lakenvelder rooster and one Dominique rooster. I have 25 pullets, all are a little over 6 months old and all are laying now in this cold Ohio winter. I have a friend in need of a rooster and asked me for one. The little Lakenvelder is aggressive with the girls and one time with me lol. However, he is very attentive and protects them very well. The Dominique's nature is calm and he does not get to rule the roost, I have only heard him try to crow one time. He is more gentle with the ladies and still runs from the little Lakenvelder but not as much as he used to. Should I keep the feisty little Lakenvelder that is rough with the girls but so protective or keep the calm (at least for now) Dominique? I do believe the Lakenvelder is more bossy and protective of the flock but maybe the Dominique would step up and even "shine" if he had the chance to be the only boss. I know it is probably a matter of preference or opinion but I was just wanting some feedback. I am attached to both but know our family friend would give one of them a good home. He asked which rooster was associated with white egg layers and that would be the Lakenvelder. He must have a white egg layer flock or else want white eggs? Does the rooster help determine what kind of egg layer a hatched chick will lay someday? White or brown? Just wondering. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Yes the sire of a bird determined half of it's egg color. Genetics are a 50/50 deal, half from mother and half from father. If you put a brown egg gened cock over a white egg laying hen you'll get tan egg laying offspring.

Regardless, I'd get rid of the once aggressive to you Lakenvelder. The Domonique will step up his game once he's the ruler of the roost. Win win situation for everyone. He gets a white egg cock bird and you have a potentially better behaved head of the flock.

If it were me, I'd keep the Dominique. An aggressive roo will typically get worse. Not always mind you, but typically. And being rough with the ladies is not good either. Best of luck, I hope whoever you choose to keep works out for you in the end! :fl
Thankyou!
If it were me, I'd keep the Dominique. An aggressive roo will typically get worse. Not always mind you, but typically. And being rough with the ladies is not good either. Best of luck, I hope whoever you choose to keep works out for you in the end! :fl

Yes the sire of a bird determined half of it's egg color. Genetics are a 50/50 deal, half from mother and half from father. If you put a brown egg gened cock over a white egg laying hen you'll get tan egg laying offspring.

Regardless, I'd get rid of the once aggressive to you Lakenvelder. The Domonique will step up his game once he's the ruler of the roost. Win win situation for everyone. He gets a white egg cock bird and you have a potentially better behaved head of the flock.
Thank you egghead.. now I don't have to research! :love

Thanks so much, I appreciate that information, I have raised a few flocks before but never even wondered about the genetics as usually my hens are almost all non setters.

Back
Top Bottom