WHICH Rooster?

I'd either rehome Asher or Watson. Do the people have other chickens? If so, once they're all together, they should be fine. As far as them fighting to the death, what breeds are they? Some breeds will back down once they realize they're going to lose or have been injured too badly.
They're planning to get more hens, but not for a few weeks probably.

Watson isn't pecking me today. If I pick him up decisively he seems fine, but a little skittish. I thought she wanted friendly ones because her 10-year-old daughter is excited for chickens, but turns out that's not as important to her. I think Asher needs more hens to really mellow out. But maybe he'd be fine if Big Owl weren't around. It's a gamble.
Watson could definitely mellow out and stop pecking, but there’s always the possibility that he’ll get worse, and I’m guessing you don’t want a rooster you’ve given them potentially pecking or even attacking their young daughter. Of course, you could always ask them which rooster they’d prefer (as long as you’re honest about their personalities).

At this stage - IT IS ALL A GAMBLE.

Todays behavior is NOT an indicator of future behavior. In decades with chickens, roosters are a crap shoot. How they behave as chicks is really not indicator how they will behave as they come into maturity.

There are many many posts where the darling became the nightmare. So let her pick which one she wants. Do know that often times roosters raised with just flock mates and no older birds to give them some manners often become at best jerks, and sometimes very dangerous.

Mrs K

Watson could definitely mellow out and stop pecking, but there’s always the possibility that he’ll get worse, and I’m guessing you don’t want a rooster you’ve given them potentially pecking or even attacking their young daughter. Of course, you could always ask them which rooster they’d prefer (as long as you’re honest about their personalities).
Thanks. She ended up picking Watson anyway. I think he may just be less socialized since Asher always jumps out first and gets the cuddles. I gave her one friendly hen so her daughter can have one to hold if she likes.

At this stage - IT IS ALL A GAMBLE.

Todays behavior is NOT an indicator of future behavior. In decades with chickens, roosters are a crap shoot. How they behave as chicks is really not indicator how they will behave as they come into maturity.

There are many many posts where the darling became the nightmare. So let her pick which one she wants. Do know that often times roosters raised with just flock mates and no older birds to give them some manners often become at best jerks, and sometimes very dangerous.

Mrs K
That's what I figured, but was hoping maybe there were some early indicators. I guess it can all change.

Yes, that's true. In the end I let her decide between Watson and Asher and she picked Watson. So I gave her one friendly hen so there's a kid option.

Back
Top Bottom