WHICH Rooster?

arazla

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
Hudson Valley, New York
Help! Someone is coming to pick up a rooster and 2 hens and it's probably too late to get advice, but we suddenly find ourselves torn. We have eleven 8 week-old chickens and at least 3 roosters. Big Owl is the leader so far, practices crowing in the morning and is fairly mellow. He was less social to humans, but lately falls asleep in my lap after a little fussing. Asher the Dasher is 2nd up and will fight Big Owl when given the opportunity, but then concedes. He always wants out of the tent and hops immediately into your lap so is a real charmer and therefore the human favorite. Mostly he wants to dash away, explore EVERYTHING and practice flying. However, he pecks the hens the most, but they all like to peck each other quite a lot as well. 3rd up, and NOT really trying to overthrow anyone, is Watson (he has mutton chops). He is pretty docile, but will sometimes peck if you try to pick him up or move him. Lately he's doing that less. Our first thought was to give Asher away since he seems to want a flock badly, but we're also worried that if left to his own devices he will over peck the two hens we're giving away. On the other hand, if we keep Asher and give away Watson, will Asher and Big Owl fight to the death eventually? This is a real dilemma. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
I'd base my decision on behavior which you have covered but also Breed. Do you plan to raise chicks from your Rooster? I'd also consider the other person's situation. When I first started out I had aggressive RIR's that I gave away to a farmer who had way more experience and land then I did. RIR behavior was not a problem in his situation where he had many coops and runs. Therefore, it was a win, win. Maybe talk it out with the other people.

At this stage - IT IS ALL A GAMBLE.

Todays behavior is NOT an indicator of future behavior. In decades with chickens, roosters are a crap shoot. How they behave as chicks is really not indicator how they will behave as they come into maturity.

There are many many posts where the darling became the nightmare. So let her pick which one she wants. Do know that often times roosters raised with just flock mates and no older birds to give them some manners often become at best jerks, and sometimes very dangerous.

Mrs K

I'd either rehome Asher or Watson. Do the people have other chickens? If so, once they're all together, they should be fine. As far as them fighting to the death, what breeds are they? Some breeds will back down once they realize they're going to lose or have been injured too badly.

I'd either rehome Asher or Watson. Do the people have other chickens? If so, once they're all together, they should be fine. As far as them fighting to the death, what breeds are they? Some breeds will back down once they realize they're going to lose or have been injured too badly.
They're planning to get more hens, but not for a few weeks probably.

Watson isn't pecking me today. If I pick him up decisively he seems fine, but a little skittish. I thought she wanted friendly ones because her 10-year-old daughter is excited for chickens, but turns out that's not as important to her. I think Asher needs more hens to really mellow out. But maybe he'd be fine if Big Owl weren't around. It's a gamble.
Watson could definitely mellow out and stop pecking, but there’s always the possibility that he’ll get worse, and I’m guessing you don’t want a rooster you’ve given them potentially pecking or even attacking their young daughter. Of course, you could always ask them which rooster they’d prefer (as long as you’re honest about their personalities).

Back
Top Bottom