Which Roosters should I keep?

AthamGI

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Finally, I have found someone who will take my 19 roosters off of my hands. I have chosen, of the lot, four bantis to keep. I am also helping my friend give away his roosters, of which he has six: two Black Langshans(sp?), a Brown Leghorn, and three Cuckoo Marans. Since I have large fowl hens, I have decided to keep two of the roosters from my friend's flock. Thus far, I have settled with one of the Black Langshans, because he is extremely gentle and friendly.

The remaining roosters...

1. The Other Black Langshan: Fairly docile, has his moments of skiddishness. Very large.
2. The Brown Leghorn: I have been seriously considering this one, but he is extremely skiddish. Just trying to pick him up from my friend's house was a hassle: a flew all over the place, squaked and bawked, and when I finally caught him, he screamed. He is really pretty, and I'd like to cross him with some of my hens, but I wonder if he will be worth the hassle. Medium.
3. The Cuckoo Marans, despite their reputation for being gentle, are very fearful and high-strung. That said, they are very majestic looking, and I've always been partial for Barred Rock-type chickens. Is the Maran a good breed? Very large.

To get an idea of what the flock has in terms of size, here is a list of hens...

Hens:
1 RIR
2 Silver Laced Wyndottes
2 Barred Rocks
1 White Silkie
1 Blue Silkie
1 Splash Silkie
1 Silkie-Black Game Bantam Cross (tiny!)
1 SL Wyndotte-Gold Star Mix
1 Buff Orpington-Gold Star Mix
1 RIR - Black Game Bantam Mix
2 Gold Star-Silkie crosses (they're very big)
1 Gold Star-Red Star Mix
1 Gold Star- White Silkie Mix
1 Black-Game/Black Silkie Mix
1 White Silkie-Buff Orp. Mix
1 Unknown mix, Orange and Gold
2 Gold Star- GoldStarSilkie Cross (one large, one small)
1 Black Star Mix
1 Unknown mix, orange and speckled
1 Star Mix, unknown
2 Black Game Mix
1 RIR Silkie Mix (very small)

Thanks for any help you can give!

good choice picking the most docile to keep.
I would choose one of the marans, as they might settle down with your ladies after they get used to the place. chickens don't like strangers and that may be why they seemed high strung.

I wouldn't choose one of the marans. I absolutely do not like mine. Mine are grown and still fearful and high-strung. They also are very rough on the hens and pluck them and each other. Mine are going as soon as I find someone who wants the whole flock, not worth the aggravation.

I would go for the black Langshan first if its just personality. I think they are so nice and soft and pretty. If you are going for better egg production, I would go with the leghorn. Leghorn crosses could make some pretty good egg layers. Brown Leghorns are also pretty.

So two votes against the Marans and one for. It sounds like my gut instinct was right. Maybe I can tame the Leghorn a bit... Thank you all for the input! I am not finished, though. Any additional opinions are welcomed!

Back
Top Bottom