Which silkie rooster to keep for breeding

Honestly if you plan on raising a bunch that look like that,it will be for fun only. Most of us end up giving away birds that look a lot better than that. Even if you are selling to the asian market, you will be looking at a loss bby the time you feed and raise them to that point.

I like the darker comb, but as pets, I'd pick the one with the sweetest personality. Good for you and good for it's offspring.

How do they stay so clean?!

I like the darker comb one too. I agree that since they're not show birds personality of the roosters should play a part in your decision. Which one has the best crow?

Quote:
actually Jen, they didn't have the right color genes I wanted so they are beautiful on the outside but won't give me that special color I'm breeding for. I have a white 3 wk old unsexed and a buff 6month old rooster that so far, doesn't crow, these are bearded.

I thank some of you for your kind coments,as I stated its for pets and not profit,they will not be going to shows or have baths or blow dried or any of the fancy stuff.I love all my chickens and they have a very good life with me.I will be looking for the personality of the rooster and none of them crow very good yet racuda.Like I said I don`t know if they were hatchery birds because I got them off ebay,I love looking at them they are so pretty.

Quote:
well that's what matters! That's what I love about the normal backyard
flock. Is because you don't have to worry about all that other stuff. That's why I have my show birds and my ( this will sound harrible!) "reject" pens. The ladies who don't have the right qualities I keep for eggs!

Even if you don't want show birds you could still buy from your friendly BYC people. That way you know for sure they come from healthy stock ( hopefully) and you'll support your chicken breeder! Good luck with your babies!

Well I think they are very cute! Who cares if they aren't show quality??? Pick the friendliest rooster since you want pets and use him.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom