Which silkie rooster to keep for breeding

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
THe one in front and the one in back are for sure roosters,one has a pink colored comb and the other the mullberry color,which to one to keep for breeding next spring?If
44824_three_silkes_roosters.jpg

Id have to say neither.

I got some eggs from Glen see and Bobbi Porto, gorgeous chicks showing wonderful promise! Maybe you could try out one of them?

Edited because I can't spell
roll.png

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, I'd vote neither. If you want to actually breed Silkies, then breed for quality.
smile.png

All three of those have way too small of crests, the wrong color and shape of comb, and sorry to say, even the buff hen in the background also looks like hatchery quality.

If you go to the BYC Hatching Egg auction section, you'll see what breeding quality Buff and White Silkies really should look like.
smile.png

I should have mentioned that these will be pet quailty birds not show quailty.They are 6 months old.I got the eggs off ebay.I live in a very rural area no bird shows or anything like that,just wanted some good looking pet quailty birds.Had to get the eggs from ebay as noone around here has silkies and there is an interest at the chicken swaps for silkies.

Mountaintopsilkies is in Maine (formerly, Mainelyseramas). User name Hoppy is in Maine and I know she has some silkie chicks right now. I also dabble in silkies. If you are looking for more, contact Hoppy, she has a few I think she might be selling...they aren't the color she wants...

Back
Top Bottom